Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
need to handle with care...

need to handle with care...

Reply Post New Topic

• MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 06-24-08 | 05:36 PM
  • Okay, I need your ladies help and opinions...

My lil bean will be here in just a few weeks. My mom will be my primary day care person. However, my DH's grandma and her husband also live close by and have offered to watch her when my parents go on their cruise in September. Great, all settled then. My concern is their driving abilities...

My Dh's grandma is probably about 65 or so, which isn't much older than my mom. She has fiber-myalga (sp?), so I don't know how much she actually drives anywhere and I don't remember when her last accident was. Her husband is older, but his driving makes me nervous. And that's just with me in car. He wears glass that are pretty thick and Grandma has told me that he eyes are getting worse. He has diabetes, but does absolutly nothing about it: does not follow a diet, take meds, anything. One of the side effects of untreated diabetes is eye problems, you can even go blind. Grandma told me her husband thinks he just needs new glasses. Last time I was in the car with them, he stopped so close to other cars in front of him (tail-gating) and once when we approached a red light, he stopped the car one whole car length past the white line. I haven't ever heard of him getting in any accidents, but still.....

So, should I be concerned about them driving my newborn baby around? They take my 5 year old nephew to church every Sunday and drive him around downtown etc and my BIL & SIL don't seem to mind, or they have no idea of his driving, or they don't care. What should I do? I mean, I could easily not give them the car seat base so they can't take her anywhere, but what if they ask for it? Or should I not be concerned since he doesn't have any accidents? I would have no idea how to approach this subject w/o pissing someone off.
  • Janine Janine's Avatar 06-24-08 | 05:44 PM
  • The main thing is to protect your child. Since it is just a short term thing, I would just let them know that you would prefer they not take the baby anywhere. You could even use an excuse like you don't want her out in public getting germs. At the same time, you may want to leave the base just in case there is an emergency and they HAVE to drive the baby somewhere.
Thank you Janine!
MrsS1stbaby (06-25-08)
  • Mellie Mellie's Avatar 06-24-08 | 06:03 PM

•  

I'd just mention that it would probably be easier on them if they stayed home unless they *had* to go out and leave it at that- I'd hate to not leave the carseat base incase they really did have to go somewhere and then the baby might not get strapped in right.

(actually, I'd install the base myself to make sure it's right)
Thank you Mellie!
MrsS1stbaby (06-25-08)
  • Chickie Chickie's Avatar 06-24-08 | 06:31 PM
  • I would use a germ phobia as an excuse but leave the seat just in case. That is a tough situation. My grammy should not be driving and I hate it when she offers to take my children somewhere because I have to make stupid excuses.
Thank you Chickie!
MrsS1stbaby (06-25-08)
  • Oreo Oreo's Avatar 06-24-08 | 08:29 PM
  • I would say that bucket/car seat carrier part is very heavy and cumbersome and not worth the trouble. What ever they need, you'd be happy to pick up for them on the way home. It's a trade-off, but it might keep your kids out of the car.
Thank you Oreo!
MrsS1stbaby (06-25-08)

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work