Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Property Taxes

Property Taxes

Reply Post New Topic

• FingersX FingersX's Avatar 02-22-10 | 12:07 PM
  • The "Where do you live" thread got me wondering what we all pay in property taxes (since many complained they were high) and what you get for it?

We live in a rural town on about 3 acres and have approx 1800 SF of living space and our property taxes are $7,800 a year and will be going up slightly this year to about $8,000

The only thing included is our recycling which is picked up. No leaf or garbage...and our roads are shot.

• Patience Patience's Avatar 02-22-10 | 01:29 PM
  • We live in the suburbs in a mediocre school district. Not much is included in our taxes except emergency road work. Our snow removal is our community responsibility. Don't get me started on that one. LOL!

Our taxes are based on our home value I believe. We paid $150K for our house 6 years ago and we pay about $5K in taxes on it a year.

Since we send the kids to private and our road snow removal is paid by our community fees I hate how much we pay. The community does very little to foster a sense of community. I think they have a Santa at the park once a year and the same type of thing for Easter. We have very few parks and no real community center what so ever. I blame my state of delusional pregnancy on why we even bought in this community. LOL! It was a house that we liked close to our church. I think I was brain damaged to not consider everything else. Our house had sold and we were in a bit of a rush with me being 6 months pregnant and all.

Thankfully I don't notice it often as it is part of our mortgage payment.

Now my parents complain about their taxes which are way less than ours but they live in a blue ribbon school district with snow removal and lots of other services and community activities.

I'd gladly pay what they pay if not more for a community that held programs, activities etc....and had a good school district and police/fire as well.

Some people just like to complain I guess. LOL! That would be my parents.
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 02-22-10 | 01:50 PM
  • We own property in 6 different counties.

Don't talk to me about taxes.

Our home is the highest though and it's not really bad compared to other parts of the US but compared to counties in South GA it's HIGH. We pay $5800 on 5 acres and our house.

Oh but that does include trash pickup. And we don't have to pay for fire deptment or EMS to service our area that is covered in taxes. In Savannah if you want them to come to your house you have to pay them per year according to the value of your house.

• Patience Patience's Avatar 02-22-10 | 01:55 PM
  • Wow Susan, that is great for just the one house. I'm sure the other stuff adds up and for the area it is high but wow that sounds great!

You also have those awesome schools. You are a real salesperson for your neck of the woods. :-)
  • 3Princes 02-22-10 | 02:32 PM
  • Taxes are "high" compared to the other areas around, but the cost of living here is very, very low. Our county had the highest unemployment rate in the state (10%) recently. Our taxes are 1800/year.

Our schools haven't passed a levy in many, many years yet still earn "Excellent" or "Excellent with Distinction" marks every year.

We pay our own water/sewer/garbage/recycling/ everything.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work