Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Swimmer's ear?

Swimmer's ear?

Reply Post New Topic

• rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 02-22-10 | 04:47 PM
  • I don't know if that's what this is, but I am completely horrified. I used to swim all the time and never had an issue with water draining out of my ears. Now I take Lukas to swim class every Saturday morning, and I get water in my ears that will NOT come out no matter what I do. Last week the water partially blocked my left ear until Wednesday. Today I seriously cannot hear AT ALL out of my left ear, and it was bothering me so much I couldn't sleep very well last night.

I have a doctor appointment this afternoon to get it checked out, but I don't understand why this is happening. Is this something that occurs as you get older, or do some people just have this issue all the time? I would love to hear if anyone else has a problem with this.
  • amitrat amitrat's Avatar 02-22-10 | 08:16 PM
  • You can buy "Swim Ear" stuff @ the drug store to dry up the water that is getting trapped - I believe straight rubbing alcohol will do the same thing.

I find if I tilt my head so my ear is towards the ground and jump up and down/shake my head hard, I can get the water out.
  • rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 02-22-10 | 09:15 PM
  • I tried everything - alcohol in the ear, using a battery-operated nasal aspirator to try to vacuum it out, a blow dryer, jumping up and down, using my hand to create a vacuum in the ear.

So I went to the doctor today, and apparently, the problem was caused by a major buildup of ear wax (something with which I've not had a problem in the past). The doctor said the water got into the ear and combined with the loose ear wax to create a huge clump. He washed out my ears with very hot water, and suddenly I could hear again! Now the sound of my own voice and other noises that normally blend into the background are incredibly LOUD!

He recommended using ear drops to keep wax down once a week. Go figure. I'm just glad I can hear again!
  • SabrinaA SabrinaA's Avatar 02-22-10 | 09:59 PM
  • Ahh, I'm glad it all worked out. That would be irritating!
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 02-22-10 | 10:26 PM
  • Glad it was something easy to fix. I was guessing earwax since it had never happened before.

Are the drops an OTC item? Lately I can't seem to hear as well so I was wondering if maybe that is my problem.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work