Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
those of you who sew

those of you who sew

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 11-14-08 | 10:19 PM
  • How did you learn? Did your mom teach you? My mom is very undomestic... but I would like to learn I think. Do you think I could take a class?
  • LAB LAB's Avatar 11-14-08 | 10:35 PM
  • Taking a class is a great way to learn! I'm self taught despite my mom being an excellent seamstress! She never had time to teach me, so I figured it out on my own. Its funny as that's the same way she learned. Through the neglect of a much too busy mom! I did take a class in jr. High, but I knew more then the class taught by then. I took another class in High school and loved that too. That's when I learned to quilt! I took another class in college for the easy A. I helped the teacher out with a few things

Didn't learn anything, but did get my fun and easy A that I needed that semester. I loved the "text book" we were required to buy, but never opened in class. I devoured that!

Laura

• Laurie Laurie's Avatar 11-14-08 | 11:01 PM
  • My mom taught me, but I got my experience through the theatre costume shop. A class us a great idea!
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 11-14-08 | 11:21 PM
  • my mom is an excellent seamstress too but she didn't teach me squat

I took the home ec class in high school which did very little for me... I basically taught myself.

A class is excellent.
  • illaheebaby 11-15-08 | 02:58 AM
  • my mom isn't a very good sewer, though she tried. she actually taught me cross stitch, which is my best sewing skill!

i'm a bit self taught, i am still a beginner! i worked at jo-ann fabrics for three or four years (mainly as a cashier) but you can't help but be inspired working there!!

i learned to quilt while working there (a friend taught me, but the employee discount helped me get started.)

i think a class or even a private lesson would be a great idea!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work