Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Waking up at night

Waking up at night

Reply Post New Topic

• DanieH DanieH's Avatar 02-18-10 | 10:37 AM
  • Since at least November, Kaitlyn has been waking up during the night. At first, she would wake up frantic b/c she had nightmares. For awhile, I would struggle w/ her to fall back to sleep or I wind up sleeping w/ her in her bed. For the the past 6 wks or so, Ive told her if she wakes up just sleep on our bedroom floor. Now....she not freaking out or anything, so is just a habit now? She actually woke me up last night wanting to sleep w/ me b/c she was scared. I was right there next to her! Ugh...no. IDK...do u think this is a phase or her wanting to sleep with me out of habit? At what point is enough enough? Before this she was always a good sleeper.
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 02-18-10 | 12:00 PM
  • I know what you're going through!!
    I'm having similar issues with my ds (almost 5 yrs old). He got spooked by a movie about a month or so ago and it's been he!! here at bedtime ever since. He's never been a good sleeper anyway but now it's just totally out of control. I made the mistake of laying with him until he fell asleep and now he won't go to sleep on his own anymore. In the past he would wake up during the night and we would put him back to bed and everything was fine. Now we have to lay with him every time he gets up until he falls asleep again. Sometimes it takes hours and I end up letting him sleep with me. Now I think he just automatically gets up so he CAN sleep with us.
    We are working with a therapist but it is behavior related, not for sleep- but she did say just keep taking him back to his bed if/when he wakes up. Well that was fine in the beginning but since we have to lay with him it takes so much longer to settle him. That's just not working for dh and I at all.

I tried talking to him during the day about his fears and also tried a night light. He's even scared during the day! He won't go the bathroom on his own anymore ( he actually wet his pants twice the other day) and he won't get himself dressed without dh or I being in his room. I have to go with him everywhere!
    I'm tired and frustrated!

Sorry for hijacking your post!

But I'm hoping someone will post some advice that I can use too!

• DanieH DanieH's Avatar 02-18-10 | 12:12 PM
  • Oh wow! Yea...def similiar. I know.... I remember in the beginning I would be fighting w/ her. I would be tired, frustrated and yelling. DH would get mad b/c 'we woke him up'...wtf! I spend more time fighting w/ her when it only takes a few seconds or minutes to get settled in our room and then just go back to sleep. Kaitlyn has a night light thats on all night. She has a bunk bed setup w/ a desk on the side..I even keep the desk light on(until I go to bed). Sometimes we check for the monsters all in her room..."in the hamper? Nope. in the closet? Nope. How about in the drawers? Nope" and she will still wake up during the night. Funny..yesterday she tells me one of her classmates was scared b/c he thought monsters was in the room. Kaitlyn was consoling him, making him feel better but she thinks theres monsters as well. Im thankful the "monsters" only come at night and not during the day.

Dont apologize...its good to know Im not alone...it seems like its an age thing..at least Im hoping it is and she will grow out of it soon.
  • koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 02-18-10 | 01:56 PM
  • I know what you mean too... Athemia refuses to go to sleep unless I'm there next to the crib with at leat one hand in there with her. If she wakes up at night she will not go back to sleep in her own bed. The only place she sleeps decent is in DH's spot in our bed. I've tried to let her CIO and she cried over 3 hours one night. UGH!

I hope all our kids can get through whatever it is they are going through soon so we can all get some sleep!
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 02-18-10 | 04:26 PM
  • I remember doing the CIO with my first born. It was rough- but we conquered her bedtime issue in only 3 nights!

I did some more reading today and I think I found something that might work (for me anyway

) where Nick wants us to stay with him.

I got the info from here-

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work