Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > Baby Names >
Too 'out there?'

Too 'out there?'

Reply Post New Topic

• hoodie 10-18-09 | 10:01 PM
  • My hubby and I both love the name Erasmus for a boy, but is it too strange? We do want something that stands out a bit. Our last name is quite plain, 2-syllables and ends in -y. We would choose a short, simple mn. Another option would be Sander (Alexander is a family name.) For a girl we love Evan Susanna, Evan Amelia, or Evan Olivia. What do you think? Thanks!
  • BnBMommy BnBMommy's Avatar 10-18-09 | 10:20 PM
  • If I did Sander, I would be more tempted to spell is Xander... Your girls names are cute, but I like the middle names you have chosen and would likely use on of those for a first and then Evan in the middle..
  • 3Princes 10-18-09 | 10:46 PM
  • I'm a teacher so I'm partial to "regular" names, and I do not like Erasmus at all. I like Xander better than Sander, although I think Xander is pronounced "Zander" and "Sander" is with an S.

I think Evan is a boy's name and most people will think your baby is a boy if you go with it for a girl.

If it were me... I would choose one of your middle names for a first name and save "Erasmus" "Sander" and "Evan" for middle names.

But in the end, this is YOUR baby and like I always say--- name him or her what YOU love. This is why we don't tell people the names we have chosen till after the baby's born. I have 2 friends, one who named her kid Dewey (actually met her on here), and the other who named her kid Korbin. I didn't like either of the names at first (but never said so of course) but after the kids were born and I got to see them and learn their personalities, they both totally grew into the names and I can't imagine them being named anything else. Good luck and welcome to tbc.
  • keptpet 10-19-09 | 01:19 AM
  • [QUOTE=QTeach333;2971056]I'm a teacher so I'm partial to "regular" names, and I do not like Erasmus at all. I like Xander better than Sander, although I think Xander is pronounced "Zander" and "Sander" is with an S.

I totally agree, Erasmus is a lot of name for a little baby, and not to mention he has to go to schoool at some point. Xander in any for is a nice name. Evan Xander is a cute unisex name also.

I made up a name of my own from about 9-12 yr old because I didnt like my given name.
  • hoodie 10-20-09 | 11:01 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback! I don't think a "regular" name is what I'm after, but I agree that Erasmus may be a bit too much.
    I do think I prefer 'Sander' to 'Xander;' to me the 's' sound makes it sound a little more home-grown or earthy, which I like.
    I do like the girl middle names for first names... I'll have to ponder some more. Thanks all!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work