Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Enough

Reply Post New Topic

• ethanandsydsmom ethanandsydsmom's Avatar 01-04-05 | 02:22 PM
  • Well, Keagan still weighs 7lb 10oz and he has been that for almost 1.5 weeks straight!

He is peeing and pooping about 7-10 times a day, so I assume he is getting enough bm.

The dr told me to give him a 1/2 ou of formula after every feeding, but he doesn't want it.

He also fusses sometimes after he nurses, and I worry he is still hungry. I usually give him a pacifier, and hold him and he will fall asleep. If he was hungry he wouldn't sleep would he?

I have very mild hypoplastic breasts, and so I don't produce an overabundant amount. I am trying to figure out how to increase my milk output.

Let me add that I successfully bf my daughter for 11 mths, without any supplements, but Keagan seems to want more, or maybe it is just me worrying. lol
  • pheebe pheebe's Avatar 01-05-05 | 11:50 AM
  • I don't blame him for turning his nose up at the formula, have you tried it? Yucky! It's best not to supliment anyway because milk is supply and demand and anything that cuts demand will prevent your supply increasing. It sounds like you're doing just great.

The standard milk boosters are drink masses of water and eat oatmeal

• NicholeMatthew NicholeMatthew's Avatar 01-05-05 | 12:19 PM

•  

As I said before I think his lack of weight gain is due to the jaundice and not lack of food.

What I would do is nurse him... when you think he is done, burp and nurse him on the oposite side. (do you feed with both breasts at one feeding or just one?) At least offer it to him, see if he takes it.

This should work whether you nurse from both sides or one, because as you nurse from the other side, the other breast is already producing some milk, and he may get about 1 oz more give or take. KWIM?
  • ethanandsydsmom ethanandsydsmom's Avatar 01-05-05 | 04:58 PM
  • It depends, at night it is usually only one, and he is sleeping 4-5 hrs, so I think he is fine. lol

During the day is when I have the problems. He nurses every 2-3 hrs on both sides, but when he is finished, he startys sucking on his fists and fussing. He doesn;t do it immediately, it is like 20-30 min later. I think he just likes to suck.

Oh, his jaundice is now 10.3.

So hopefully he will be gaining soon!
  • donna 01-06-05 | 01:57 PM
  • You might also consider letting him continue to nurse instead of giving him a pacifier. I know that means being attached to you for longer times, but that comfort sucking will also boost your supply.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work