Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding >
extended nursing...milk??

extended nursing...milk??

Reply Post New Topic

• doggybear 01-05-05 | 12:58 PM
  • I have been nursing Lucy for 14 months and plan to continue for as long as she wants. My question is though should I introduce her to soy milk as well (don't plan to give her cows milk). She drinks water or deluted juice from a sippy at meals but just nurses throughout the day/night. If I introduce milk could that lead to weaning (I don't want that)? What does everyone else do?
  • Bethann73 Bethann73's Avatar 01-05-05 | 01:05 PM
  • Aedan is down to about 2-3 5 minute nurses in a 24 hour period. I have been offering milk with meals. I don't see him cutting those nursing sessions out any time soon. If you offer the milk when you would normally offer juice/water then I would think she'd continue to nurse at her own pace.

Anyone else have an idea??
  • NicholeMatthew NicholeMatthew's Avatar 01-05-05 | 01:13 PM
  • I offer milk also. They won't necessarily wean.. some do some don't. But if she is nursing strong, than I would offer it, as a way to get her used to it when you DO want her to wean. Maybe do one cup of milk, one of juice rotate. Soon she'll say what SHE wants. Aiden has been asking, nurse, white milk, chocolate milk and/or juice for about 6 mos now (he just turned 2)
  • donna 01-06-05 | 11:31 AM
  • I've started introducing milk (cow's milk) during the day because he's at daycare so that I no longer have to pump during the day. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't rush it. When you're ready, I would start offering her a cup of milk in place of juice or water now and then. She's still getting all the milk she needs from the best source, you, so there's no need to introduce it at this point as long as she's nursing several times a day still.
  • montanachic montanachic's Avatar 01-07-05 | 04:32 PM
  • I offered Ryland cow's milk at a year and he took some in a sippy cup and he is still nursing.