Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding >
I think I have inverted/flat nipples

I think I have inverted/flat nipples

Reply Post New Topic

• MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 06-06-08 | 09:07 AM
  • Hi everyone! I am due next month and last night I went to breastfeeding class. We talked about inverted nipples, the pinch test, and the shells. So this morning in the shower I did the pinch test on me and again when I got out of the shower. While the nipples seem to stick out a bit without any pinching, when I pinched it was like the re-tracted into my boob!! So, I think I may have inverted nipples. Our teacher told us where to buy the shells and advised we where them for a couple hours a day for the 3-4 weeks before our due date.

I just wanted to know if any of you ladies had this problem and used the shells. Did they work for you?
  • Bethann73 Bethann73's Avatar 06-06-08 | 09:19 AM

•  
    I thought the same exact thing when I was pg the first time around.. and as it turned out.. I was fine... you never truly know until baby starts nursing..

I say buy the shells but keep the receipt.. I'll bet you don't need them.

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 06-06-08 | 02:57 PM
  • My DIL used something like that when her baby was nursing for the first few months. The baby nursed fine with them and after a period of time her nipples were "normal" and she didn't need them any more.
  • koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 06-06-08 | 04:30 PM
  • I wonder if this is something you could talk to your Dr about

He or she may be able to tell you for sure and then you'll know if you should buy the shells or not

• Valleygirl Valleygirl's Avatar 06-06-08 | 10:02 PM

•  
    You might want to ask a lactation consultant to check them out or your ob, if they are up on those things. I also was sure my nipples were flat from what was described to me, but I have nursed two kids for over 3 years total with these things and never had a problem. I would consult someone personally before buying anything or getting too worried.