Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding >
Question about Exclusively Expressing ...

Question about Exclusively Expressing ...

Reply Post New Topic

• Tracey and Neil Tracey and Neil's Avatar 04-03-09 | 08:24 AM
  • Hello ladies.

After a decade of TTC, and doing IVF, we're finally expecting #1. With only 3 months to go I've started to think further ahead than just the next scan, and have been thinking about options for feeding our miracle.

I have decided that after around a week of BF I want to exclusively express, and have been recommended the Lactaline double pump by Ameda by our BF Consultant (who is lovely!)

I know about expressing every 2-3 hours and that for the first month-or-so I'll need to express at least twice during the night, but I wondered if any of you had any other tips for expressing? Or knew of any good books/websites to read up on about exclusively expressing?
  • MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 04-03-09 | 09:11 AM
  • Congratulations!

The only advice I have for exclusivly expressing is using Lanisoh to help with the friction. After my first week back at work, my nipples were sore & red until I started putting the Lanisoh on before I pumped. I also had a friend who pumped-only for 14 months and she said what helped her was being able to pump for 20 minutes instead of 15. Later, as her dd grew & slept longer, she was able to not pump during the night & said by the time she was about a 9 months old she was only pumping 4x a day, each time for 20 mins. And she never had to supplement. Not saying that is why, I think she was was one of those women with an overabundant amount of milk...a.ka. lucky!
  • Susan Susan's Avatar 04-03-09 | 09:59 AM
  • i pumped exclusively for a year with Anthony. i have the medela pump in style double electric..

i had an overabundance too..i had a freezer full...so he got bm way after i was done pumping at a year..he never got formula. i did pump ever 4 hours or so after a few months.

i can't remember how many minutes i pumped for..maybe 15??

good luck

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 04-04-09 | 01:42 AM
  • Why not continue BFing instead of pumping? Or do both? I found BFing to be soooo much easier than washing bottles all the time & I didn't have to worry about not having supplies if we were not home. Also, I was one of those unfortunate woman who couldn't get much with a pump (and I tried all kinds including a rental.) If I relied on just what I could pump my babies would have starved.

My only suggestion is to give your baby something in a bottle every day (even if its only an ounce) so she is used to the bottle for when you decide to go that route.
  • teddybear1082 teddybear1082's Avatar 04-04-09 | 09:31 AM
  • I am not sure if this is the kind of advice you are looking for, but in the beginning when I would pump it helped if I looked at dd. If she cried it was even better. I only pumped 2x per day, but was able to get a lot of milk when I did-much more than dd would need for 1 feeding.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work