Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding >
supply/question please!!

supply/question please!!

Reply Post New Topic

• robyncre 09-11-04 | 11:19 PM
  • How long do/did your 6 mo old nurse on each side? Sophia is only sucking for about 4 minutes tops and then bobbing on and off frustrated and crying as if she is not getting any more. I switch sides and boom...4 min (tops) later same thing. She has been doing this for about 2 weeks. I know she has gained weight since then...had her for a well check about 3 weeks ago and back this past week for a shot she missed. In 3 weeks she had gained about 9 ounces. She will usually still last 3 hours between feedings but is mad after I sit her up until I redirect her attention. I know it can't be normal to BF only 3 or 4 minutes per side. She just seems mad throught the whole thing. Just thought I would ask...I am not wanting to stop or supplement but feel so bad.
    Robyn
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 09-12-04 | 12:05 AM
  • My DS only nursed for 4 minutes on ONE side only. That's all his tummy could hold and my milk was awesome at flowing

So it is entirely possible for 4 minutes on each side to suffice.

alot of kids become 'impatient' with nursing and wanting it all now. When the flow slows --- they still want it guzzling till the end. And, well, that just isn't so when you nurse. The flow does slow as the breast empties.
    Just keep on doing it as you find it working -- you're normal.

You could switch a 3rd time back to the first breast for one last top off - sometimes, it doesn't take your first breast long to refill enough for baby to be happy for that last guzzle.
  • :domesticgoddess: :domesticgoddess:'s Avatar 09-12-04 | 04:09 AM
  • Sounds to me like your baby is one of those that wants it to "pour" out.

If you just continue to allow her to nurse, she may become satisfied with the trickle after the initial letdown.
  • robyncre 09-12-04 | 03:02 PM
  • That makes sense! She is definately "bottle spoiled" due to the bottles she has while I am at work. She gets 2- 5oz bottles while I am at work. She really does want it to fall out at her! I tell her all the time "sorry you have to do a little work!" I have switched her back to the first side...I will just continue to do that and nurse more often if she is demanding! Thanks for your responses!! Hope you are both doing great!
    Robyn
  • pheebe pheebe's Avatar 09-13-04 | 01:07 PM
  • My daughter has EBM while I'm at work and went through a phase of refusing the breast except when she was sleepy. I even had to pump at the weekends! But she grew out of it and is now back to much prefering it on tap

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work