Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Terrible diaper rash!!

Terrible diaper rash!!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 12-20-06, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.44%
Question Terrible diaper rash!!

I wouldn't think breastfed babies got diaper rash, not to this extent! Today he got a diaper rash, and a bad one. I remember Dewey getting one about this same age exactly, but chalked it up to the Luvs diapers, he got his the same time I put Luvs on him. And it cleared up soon after I switched back to the pampers. But Gus hasn't had any diaper brand change. What the heck could I be eating that could mess his hiney up so bad? Oh, and when he poops he grunts it out and it comes out in a gush! It's a nasty poo poo. It has the color and texture of breastmilk poop, but some of it is runny.

I am making a point of not eating spicey stuff (and I love spicey food!). So what am I doing wrong? He poops after/during each feeding, could the frequency cause it? I feel terrible about this! And it hurts him when I wipe him, of course it would, it looks so painful!
I'll call the ped tomorrow if it looks like it's not healing up, but I was hoping ya'll could give me some sensible opinions before I made an unnecessary call to the dr.

Old 12-20-06, 06:53 PM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 0.44%

I probably called the doctors office at least once every week or two when my kids were infants... I don't think they mind & it always put my mind at ease. Usually I just asked to speak with a nurse.

1st and foremost... don't use baby wipes on his diaper rash. Use a wet paper towel OR rinse off your baby wipes to get the cleaners off. I remember my ped having me alternate diaper changes when my kids had a rash-- First Diaper: pour a little Malox on his clean bum (kills the acid) Next Diaper: rub some antibacterial cream on his clean bum (for healing)

Hmmm... I know that my kids poops were kinda runny as infants. With my older son, it often looked like someone had just used a paintbrush to paint the inside of his diaper yellow (sorry gross). I think the frequency of Gus' poops COULD be causing some of the rash too.

What about milk?? Sometimes babies react to their MOM eating a lot of dairy??

Good luck with everything... I hope the rash clears up soon!!

Old 12-20-06, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.44%

Hailey had a diaper rash about 3 weeks in. Balmez cleared it up for the most part. Pampers is what mine are allergic too. Their skin prefers Huggies.

Old 12-20-06, 07:54 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 9.33%

Great advice!

I am a big fan of barrier creams, I always keep zinc cream on hand- I mean on their tushies! LOL

Hope it clears up soon Ami.
As for the poo- yellow, seedy and runny is the norm, I think. I can hardly remember!

Old 12-20-06, 08:44 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.44%

He could be sensitive to something you're eating and it could be anything. To know what it is, you'd have to stop eating it for 7 days (to clear out your system) and then add it back in. Dairy, peppers, onions, broccoli, apples (my friends baby didn't agree with apples), etc. It could just be his system's working something through. I think his poops sound right but maybe too frequent? I can't remember! I agree though about the wipes. I used warm paper towels on Rhiannon's butt for almost 2 months. She's still very sensitive with her wipes and I can only use a certain brand on her or she breaks out.

I'd call the ped just for piece of mind. My peds always told me to call for anything!

Latest Articles
Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

Baby Names for Spring Babies
If you are looking for a unique baby name for your Spring baby, look no further. Check out these names for your Spring baby boy or girl.

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date
New guidelines for a more accurate estimation of conception date and due date have been introduced by the American College of Gynecologists and Obstetricians and the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine.

May 2016 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Banyan 6 weeks" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Laceyrellaford!

Calculators & Tools