Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding >
weaning questions....

weaning questions....

Reply Post New Topic

• montanachic montanachic's Avatar 09-24-04 | 04:30 PM
  • Well, I am thinking of trying to move the weaning process along a bit.

Mostly because i am tired of getting up at 5:30 am to nurse, I am not enjoying that feeding at all. I know though that I am his comfort so I am torn as what to do. He nurses about 3-4 times a day now and is 19 months. Any suggestions, I was going to let him self wean but there is NO Interest whatsoever on his end. I want to be gentle but I also want to sleep.

• :domesticgoddess: :domesticgoddess:'s Avatar 09-25-04 | 03:01 AM

•  
    I too have been contemplating this weaning thing. I always let my babies self-wean, but I am really needing to return to my pain meds and now that my dd is 14 months, weaning is sounding better and better. She nurses about 4-5 times a day still and shows NO SIGNS of giving up that first morning nursing. The only thing I can figure is to prepare breakfast for him *before* he wakes up and give him a sippy of slightly warmed milk with it. In a few days maybe he would be willing to give it up??

Not sure, but maybe...
  • sssmile14 sssmile14's Avatar 09-25-04 | 09:29 AM
  • I got rid of the other feedings first. Then I cut back to just letting him nurse for a few minutes at the morning feed. Then I stopped completely. The first 2 mornings were hard, but then he was fine with it. I took about a month to wean all the feedings completely so it wasn't so hard.
  • Valleygirl Valleygirl's Avatar 09-25-04 | 12:35 PM
  • With DD I went VERY slowly. I started by cutting out the feedings that were the easiest. She loved to nurse right when I got home from work, but I was able to cut that one out by cuddling with her and taking her to the park or shopping. It was all about distractions. Then we cut out her after bath nursing, we would just play or watch a video together. The last one we cut out was the bedtime, that was the most important one to her. She had to nurse to sleep every night. I took several months to wean DD. I would wait until I thought she was completely adjusted to the loss of one of the nursing sessions. I could have probably done it quicker but I know my girl doesn't like change. I just used my instincts and decided when the time was right.

Good Luck to you.

• Chris10brink Chris10brink's Avatar 09-28-04 | 10:59 PM
  • Is 5:30 when he is awake for the day or does he nurse himself back to sleep? If he's nursing himself back to sleep at that point, you can try & cut the time of that feeding down, break his latch and just hold/rock or cuddle him... he'll get upset but you'll be able to comfort him back to sleep. Then you can just stop giving him that feeding, just hold/rock or cuddle him back to sleep,and eventually he won't wake up for that feeding anymore because he knows he won't get to nurse.

BUT if that is when he is waking up and that is the first a.m. feeding, I don't know what to tell you... what I am doing with melody is cutting down the time by asking her if she wants eggies, or pancakes, or juice... the past couple of days she's been hungry and stopped nursing right away to have breakfast. So I'm hoping eventually I can just ask her if she wants to eat instead of nurse. (she sleeps till around 7:30 though... if she was getting up at 5:30 i may not be so ready to make breakfast

)

Good luck, and please let us know what you do & how it works... I can use all the help I can get too!!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work