Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters >
annual christmas budget thread

annual christmas budget thread

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 10-18-08 | 04:08 PM
  • Someone asks every year and for some strange reason I'm in the Christmas spirit already so it might as well be me!

Christmas budget!
    How much do you spend on...
    your dh/so?

your kids?

Your parents/ILs

Who else do you buy for? How much do you spend on them???

Any good suggestions for great, cheap gifts?
  • neyney 10-18-08 | 04:50 PM
  • I read somewhere that the average family spends around a thousand dollars on gifts at Christmas. I have wondered how many people were in that "average" family. As for us, it varies but I can virtually guarantee that it will be much less than what the survey called average this year.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 10-18-08 | 07:56 PM
  • How much do you spend on...

your dh/so? We've set a $20 limit for the last 5 or so years, but we might up it to $40 or $50 this year since it's our first DEBT-FREE Christmas!

your kids? We spend about $100 on each girl. We have two daughters.

Your parents/ILs? We spend about $40/person for the closer relatives.

Who else do you buy for? How much do you spend on them??? We buy for our brothers and sisters, but we don't spend much--maybe $20 on each. And we buy for Andy's Goddaughter--we spend about $20 on her, too.

Any good suggestions for great, cheap gifts? I like to give magazine subscriptions. They're usually cheap and they last a whole year.

Also, I do most of my shopping on Black Friday and only buy the REALLY, REALLY good sales.

Sometimes I can get more than $100 worth of stuff for $30 or less.

One of the best gifts I've received was our first married Christmas. My grandmother gave me a new recipe box filled with all of her "tried and true" recipes. She copied them all onto color-coordinated index cards...pink for cookies, blue for candies, yellow for cakes from scratch, green for cakes from mixes, etc. Her only monetary cost was the purchase of the recipe box and some index cards--but it's one of my all-time favorite Christmas gifts.

Also, it doesn't sound cheap but last year my aunt bought us a season pass to the local Discovery Museum. It was $69 and thanks to the reciprocity factor, we had free or half-price admission to lots of other zoos and museums (COSI included)!

So divide that by all four of us and it was less than $20/person but it will last all year and we can use it in so many capacities.

Thank you Dopey406!
teddybear1082 (10-18-08)
  • teddybear1082 teddybear1082's Avatar 10-18-08 | 08:53 PM
  • Quote de QTeach333
    Someone asks every year and for some strange reason I'm in the Christmas spirit already so it might as well be me!

Christmas budget!
    How much do you spend on...
    your dh/so?

your kids? we will spend about $100 on dd

Your parents/ILs we usually spend over $100 per person, but will be scaling it back to around $40 for parents this year (per couple)

Who else do you buy for? How much do you spend on them???
    we have stopped buying for our siblings and are all buying for the kids. we set a limit of $75 for Christmas per kid -I have 1 niece adn 1 nephew.

Any good suggestions for great, cheap gifts? I like to give photo gifts- you can get a bunch of stuff from Shutterfly-mugs, refrig magnets, etc.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work