Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

College funds

Reply Post New Topic

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 01-08-07 | 05:27 PM
  • Have you started a college fun for your child(ren)? What kind do you have? How much do you contribute each month/year/installment?

We started a 529 Plan for Sarah when she was young, but turned it off during our Total Money Makeover. We were only putting $50/month in there, but with the growth, it's actually above $2,000 now. However, it's in the plan to rebuild it at a much faster pace, so we're excited to get going with that after we're out of debt.
  • ~Kelli~ ~Kelli~'s Avatar 01-08-07 | 05:32 PM
  • we have 529's for both boys--- through the 'collegebound fund'

• Janine Janine's Avatar 01-08-07 | 05:35 PM

•  
    both our girls are Indian, so hopefully most of their college will be paid for by the tribes if they stay here in Oklahoma. We will probably start a college fund as soon as we get out of debt too. This new baby will have no such heritage luck. We want to be able to help them as much as we can, but I also think it is important that the kids be responsible for some portion themselves. It's harder to party away the first few years if you are having to pay for some of it.
  • ~Kelli~ ~Kelli~'s Avatar 01-08-07 | 05:37 PM
  • IA Janine.... this is a big tax break for us, so we sock alot of money away right now in the funds-- but when they hit the projected 50% of what it will cost our kids to go to college we'll pull back significantly-- we're planning to pay for half of our kids education...
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 01-08-07 | 05:42 PM
  • My dad paid for exactly 50% of my college. I earned a scholarship that paid for the other half. But I had to REAPPLY every year for that scholarship so it was vital that I not let my grades slip. I also held down a job all throughout college to pay for extras.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work