Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Emergency Fund

Reply Post New Topic

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 07-30-09 | 05:12 PM
  • Do you have an emergency fund?
    How much do you have saved?
    How long would this money last you if you had to live off of it.
    What do you consider to be a reason to use this money (what is an emergency)?
  • Janine Janine's Avatar 07-30-09 | 05:39 PM
  • We had an emergency fund until I broke my ankle last year. knock on wood, we should be able to start building one again soon. Our ultimate goal is a $10k emergency fund. We could live off of that for about 6 months once we get the rets of our credit cards paid off.
  • koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 07-30-09 | 05:47 PM
  • We're still working on ours

We've been horrible about tracking our spending and budgeting and what not, so I think we have about $400 right now. We will start building it up again VERY soon though, as DH is going to be getting a lot more hours coming up soon and he should be able to get all the overtime he could possibly want. SO that will be a HUGE help.
  • alb526 alb526's Avatar 07-30-09 | 06:32 PM
  • I think we are down to about $17 in our crisis fund and it's very scary. We started to slide over a year ago when we had a lot of out of pocket moving expenses, then the cost of DS in college on the east coast, then I had surgery (lots of out of pocket) in October followed by a very complicated pregnacy and NICU stay for DD. The anxiety of DH trying to find a job on top of it all makes me want to crawl out of my skin.
  • LMB2007 LMB2007's Avatar 07-30-09 | 08:47 PM
  • We used to keep around $7,000 and counting in savings when we were doing good financially before the economy caused us to lose our great jobs. Now we have about $1,000 and I find that very scary because we no longer have any credit. Because of us losing our jobs we had to move and couldn't sell our empty house, so it went into foreclosure, DH let his motorcycle go back, and since all of this our credit card companies (even though we have a good history with them, and are not maxed out) have decided to shut off our credit lines all together. I just found this out last week and I cried. I feel like despite our financial problems that we have had, even though I have kept in good standings with them I'm being treated unfairly. But so is life, right? So I don't have that much to fall back on, and if we don't pinch every penny right now, what we do have will be gone soon too.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work