Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters >
How did you get started budgeting?

How did you get started budgeting?

Reply Post New Topic

• rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 01-12-07 | 01:27 PM
  • Sounds really cool. I'll get the book and give it a look-see. I think we may start trying to bank most of my after-tax salary, other than for child care. That's going to be a $300/week bite. I've been amazed how much less money I spend while not working!
  • tryinfr3rd tryinfr3rd's Avatar 01-12-07 | 01:58 PM
  • Ours is similar to what Deanna and Janine posted....we just have a budget sheet that I input every week (its every week for us because Eric gets paid every week, but if dh gets paid once every two weeks or once a month it would go by that) and it looks kinda like this:

(this is weekly -and we try to get "excess" in these so the amounts are sometimes higher than what the bill is so we end up ahead)

mortgage: $325
    kids savings: (this one changes)
    electricity: $30
    cable: $10
    garbage: $5
    internet: $3
    our savings: (this one also changes)
    car maintence: $10
    car tabs: $2
    food: $100
    property: (this is our investment property and this changes too because we are in the process of building and the more we spend the more the payment goes up)
    christmas fund: (I also use this for bday gifts during the year and etc) $10
    clothing, shoes etc: (basically my shopping budget and this one changes too)
    misc: (I have this on my budget but I hardly ever use it because I have pretty much everything else budgeted for)

anyways every week I input dh's check, which is usually around the same amount then split it up into all the different sections then pay bills and subtract that from the total that is in there so it looks something like this:

forward budgeted spent spent spent balance
    Mortgage: 2000 325 1124 1201
    kids savs: 1100 25 0 1125

etc etc.....

my mom got us started budgeting, she used to be a bookkeeper before she had us so she set up this budget for me and if some new bill comes up say if we bought a new car or something then that would just be added in to the list and budgeted for

I hope that made sense

I dont always explain myself well, plus its hard to "show" online

good luck with yours!!

p.s. ok the "forward" "budgeted" and etc are supposed to be OVER the number amounts but I cant figure out how to get it to do that so you have to use your imaginations

sorry...

Last edited by tryinfr3rd; 01-12-07 at 02:00 PM..
  • the_littleminx the_littleminx's Avatar 01-14-07 | 06:44 PM
  • Deanna,
    Your tips are awesome. I'm going to show them to dh so we can start working on getting in to gear.

• the_littleminx the_littleminx's Avatar 01-14-07 | 06:53 PM
  • I just requested the Dave Ramsey book from my library. I'm guessing it's a pretty popular title since out of the 10+ copies they have they're all out and/or on hold. Luckily though I'm the only hold on the copy they reserved for me. So, hopefully by the end of the month it'll come in.
  • Janine Janine's Avatar 01-14-07 | 07:20 PM
  • Rebekah..there is a seminar going on at one of the churches here in Broken Arrow right now...I would bet that congregation has most o fthem checked out.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work