Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters >
I'm freaking out.... HELP!!

I'm freaking out.... HELP!!

Reply Post New Topic

• TSLeer TSLeer's Avatar 05-15-07 | 06:09 PM
  • How much more would your mortgage be than what you're paying in rent?

This is our biggest change. We've always rented dirt cheap.....it will be a $1,300/ mo. increase between rent and mortgage.

We can afford it, but we will have to trim our extras down alot. I'll have to take the calculator to the store and cut coupons again, time clothes shopping and garage saleing for the commen items, save for big stuff like vacations, cars, etc.

I haven't had to do that since before we had Taylor.

I've heard the first year's the roughest, then you see the benefits on your taxes, etc.

-------BREATHING--------

Last edited by TSLeer; 05-15-07 at 06:15 PM..
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 05-15-07 | 06:12 PM
  • that is a big increase.

If you've crunched the numbers and know that you can afford it, then there is nothing to worry about.

You should be able to make double what your mortgage will cost you to be able to get along just fine.
    becoming a homeowner is such a wonderful experience. You will end up feeling liberated instead of constrained.
  • tryinfr3rd tryinfr3rd's Avatar 05-17-07 | 12:04 PM
  • First off

cause the first time IS so scary, I remember, I was terrified and convinced we were gonna end up not being able to pay the mortgage and etc but like everyone else said as long as you've figured it out on paper and can afford whatever price you've set for yourself (dont let realtors convince you to look at more expensive places either, they are notorious for that, but sounds like you already have a place picked out) then you should be fine!!

Some of the nice things about owning are, when you pay out every month you know that you will see that money again. Also when you own you can do things to improve your property, first without having to ask permission from someone else, and second those improvements will benefit you and not someone else

the arguments with dh are normal too, this is a stressful time for anyone and that has to get out of ya somehow

so I say go for it and I think you will be happy with the outcome!

good luck!!!!
  • Bethann73 Bethann73's Avatar 05-17-07 | 12:11 PM

•  
    You've got some great advice..

If you know what you can afford going into it.. and that's how you make your decisions you should be fine.. Owning your own home really is a great thing.

Good Luck finding the perfect home for you.

• Heidi1361 Heidi1361's Avatar 05-17-07 | 12:30 PM
  • I agree with what everyone has been saying... buy it! Paying rent is just giving money to someone else YOUR $$ so THEY can own a property!!

I'll venture to say that most double income families can afford to own their own home. And when your youngest is out of daycare, you'll be able to loosen your belts a little bit!! It seems like a long time, but it's really not!

I remember feeling pretty nauseous when we passed and signed papers... uch. It's all good now though!!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work