Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

National Board Stipend

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 08-04-09 | 03:27 PM
  • I was so mad when it happened that I didn't even post about it because I knew I'd sound very, very bad.

The "big deal" teacher thing is to get your national board certification. The "National Board" doesn't pay you anything for getting it, but most states pay the teachers a stipend, and many, many school districts "match" the stipend or pay one of their own, so some teachers get 5-10k for having it.

In Ohio it was a 2500 a year stipend (before taxes), and your cert. is good for 10 years, so 25k!!! It came in a lump sum in June so I'd use it for our vacation or for a "big purchase."

So I got this e-mail the other day...

Ohio House Bill 1, which was signed into law by Gov. Strickland on July 17, 2009, provides no funding for National Board Certification candidate fees, support or stipends in Ohio for the 2010-2011 biennium budget.

Note that the original legislation (ORC 3319.55) did not guarantee funding but rather stated,

In each fiscal year that the general assembly appropriates funds for purposes of this section, the superintendent of public instruction shall award a grant to each person who, by the first day of August of that year and in accordance with the rules adopted under this section, submits to the superintendent evidence indicating all of the following…

Therefore the Ohio Department of Education will not be accepting applications for stipends for National Board Certified Teachers beginning with the 2009-2010 school year.

So no more stipend, just like that!!! The "best" part is that this guy was supposed to be "the teacher's governor." I have 4 years left on mine so it'll be TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS I'm missing out on.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 08-04-09 | 03:33 PM
  • Yep, we voted against Strickland because he didn't seem very pro-education to us.

Sorry you're getting screwed. Hopefully this will be his only term in office and we can get things back on track in Ohio.
  • holly302 08-05-09 | 05:08 PM

•  
    im sorry.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work