Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Unexpected money!

Reply Post New Topic

• koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 08-10-09 | 05:05 PM
  • A little back story:
    In 2002 I opened a checking account for military money purposes only. That was the only money going in and I wrote checks to get it out. Well, after getting out of basic training and all that stuff, I got myself into trouble and decided "No more checking account!" but I never actually closed the account.

Today I recieved a letter in the mail saying that my account has been inactive for 2-3 years (actually it's been more than that since i've written out a check, closer to about 6 or 7 years!) but I didn't open it all the way. I WAS going to throw it away, but for some reason I put it on the table instead. Dh asked what it was about and I explained what I just wrote above (he knew I had a check account, he just didn't know I never closed it.) I showed him the letter and he opened it up all the way and it said I have $975.65 in the account

I am SOOOOO glad I didn't throw that letter away!!!!!!

So I called to have the money transferred to our checking acc that we have now and they said they will put in a request to have the "inactive" status lifted and I should call back in 48-72 hours to move the money to the other acc and close this one!

I am SO excited! I just wish I knew why the money was there and how I didn't know about it before! BUT it will be a nice help, since somehow we are getting more and more behind on bills even though dh has been working a lot more lately.
  • holly302 08-10-09 | 05:12 PM

•  
    unexpected money is awesome! I am so happy you didn't throw out that letter! makes me want to carefully read every piece of mail I get from now on

Thank you holly302!
koala_kaper (08-13-09)
  • koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 08-13-09 | 04:49 PM
  • A little update... I called today to try and transfer the money and close the account. Well, they said I have to send a letter bc most of the mail they've sent has been returned (don't know how they sent me THIS particular letter, but ok!) so I can fax it or send it to the address they gave me. Well, I don't know anyone with a fax machine, so I will have to send it.

BUT, I was talking to a friend of mine and she said that Wachovia and Wells Fargo are together now, so I might be able to go there and talk to them about it. (Or find someone with a fax machine!)

So I still don't have the money, but I'm hoping for SOON!
  • MImom23 MImom23's Avatar 08-13-09 | 05:15 PM
  • Most banks will do faxing service for you,

for unexpected money

you get it situated
Thank you MImom23!
koala_kaper (08-13-09)
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 08-17-09 | 04:36 PM
  • I hope it gets all straightened out and you get your money soon! Who doesn't LOVE an unexpected windfall??

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work