Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Unexpected money!

Reply Post New Topic

• koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 08-10-09 | 05:05 PM
  • A little back story:
    In 2002 I opened a checking account for military money purposes only. That was the only money going in and I wrote checks to get it out. Well, after getting out of basic training and all that stuff, I got myself into trouble and decided "No more checking account!" but I never actually closed the account.

Today I recieved a letter in the mail saying that my account has been inactive for 2-3 years (actually it's been more than that since i've written out a check, closer to about 6 or 7 years!) but I didn't open it all the way. I WAS going to throw it away, but for some reason I put it on the table instead. Dh asked what it was about and I explained what I just wrote above (he knew I had a check account, he just didn't know I never closed it.) I showed him the letter and he opened it up all the way and it said I have $975.65 in the account

I am SOOOOO glad I didn't throw that letter away!!!!!!

So I called to have the money transferred to our checking acc that we have now and they said they will put in a request to have the "inactive" status lifted and I should call back in 48-72 hours to move the money to the other acc and close this one!

I am SO excited! I just wish I knew why the money was there and how I didn't know about it before! BUT it will be a nice help, since somehow we are getting more and more behind on bills even though dh has been working a lot more lately.
  • holly302 08-10-09 | 05:12 PM

•  
    unexpected money is awesome! I am so happy you didn't throw out that letter! makes me want to carefully read every piece of mail I get from now on

Thank you holly302!
koala_kaper (08-13-09)
  • koala_kaper koala_kaper's Avatar 08-13-09 | 04:49 PM
  • A little update... I called today to try and transfer the money and close the account. Well, they said I have to send a letter bc most of the mail they've sent has been returned (don't know how they sent me THIS particular letter, but ok!) so I can fax it or send it to the address they gave me. Well, I don't know anyone with a fax machine, so I will have to send it.

BUT, I was talking to a friend of mine and she said that Wachovia and Wells Fargo are together now, so I might be able to go there and talk to them about it. (Or find someone with a fax machine!)

So I still don't have the money, but I'm hoping for SOON!
  • MImom23 MImom23's Avatar 08-13-09 | 05:15 PM
  • Most banks will do faxing service for you,

for unexpected money

you get it situated
Thank you MImom23!
koala_kaper (08-13-09)
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 08-17-09 | 04:36 PM
  • I hope it gets all straightened out and you get your money soon! Who doesn't LOVE an unexpected windfall??