Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments >
To IVF or NOT to IVF...that is the question

To IVF or NOT to IVF...that is the question

Reply Post New Topic

  • asocprof asocprof's Avatar 11-22-05 | 12:00 AM
  • Hello all. Well I had my 3rd negative. Only got to try 3x in 6 months due to elevated estrogen in day 3's. Each day 3 after a month of trying/meds gave me elevated day 3's. The next month I was young and spry! So I don't know where to go next...The big issue is that I have ONLY 3 vials of my donor left (Seth's donor). I don't want to do another donor selection at this point. So I have 3 chances on the near horizon. So how do I make the most of them? Maximize my chances of having a full sibling for Seth?

    Should I go straight for IVF? My insurance will cover little to nothing. Are my chances of success greater with IVF than IUI? I stimulate ok...not massive production but not totally non-responsive.

    Or should I try another IUI? I have some meds left from when I had insurance that covered it (just changed jobs). So I could use them with a last ditch IUI effort. Or I could shift them over to a IVF and take some of the financial edge off of the IVF round.

    Are my chances with IVF significantly greater than with IUI? Or are both of them about the same?

    ANY feedback about this would be much appreciated.

    Jen
  • AMomInLove AMomInLove's Avatar 11-22-05 | 12:03 AM
  • According to our clinic success rates for IVF were not substancially higher to validate the huge jump in cost! We never moved to IVF for that reason and having no insurance coverage at all...well-timed IUI's are nearly at par with IVF...


     
  • WestiesMA WestiesMA's Avatar 11-22-05 | 01:25 AM
  • This is a tough one Jen. I may be in your shoes if I am lucky enough to get any response at all. Do you spend the $3-5K for an IUI with a maybe 20% chance at the most if you have good quality eggs, or do you spend $15K or more and only need to hope for implantation? At least with IVF you know that you are dealing with decent eggs, and if you stim well you could end up with frosties for another try.

    If you stim well, and you think you could get a bunch of eggs, I'd go for the IVF. If they think you may only have one or two good quality eggs, then it's a much tougher decision.

    Is there any chance at all of getting more vials? Have you tried the Donor Sibling Registry? Someone there may have vials available.

    Good luck Jen. I am praying like crazy for you and Seth!
  • SnowboardingMommy SnowboardingMommy's Avatar 11-22-05 | 02:08 PM
  • I'd spend the $15K and go straight to IVF. With a lot of clinics you can do an IVF + all the FET's you have frozen embies for at that price. Some, like mine, has the "buy one get one free". So you are spending $15K for many attempts. If having a bio sib is a big deal and you only have 3 vials left, I wouldn't even consider doing IUI's. I'd use those meds you have and put them towards an IVF cycle. Good luck!
  • Jules8 11-22-05 | 02:22 PM
  • For me personally I'd keep doing the IUIs. I did 2 IVFs w/ DH and that was the emotion and physical toll it took on my body was awful. That is why we went the DI route. IUIs were a breeze in comparison, plus a lot cheaper. The first time I got pg on my 4th try, the second on my first try and this last time on my 7th try...all w/ meds. So up to you but I'm more of the IUI gal...unless you have a problem w/ your eggs or are experiencing female-related infertility issues. Then IVF may be a better choice. So many factors and every woman is different.