Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Retreival Pain

Reply Post New Topic

• lkeim lkeim's Avatar 02-13-06 | 11:30 PM
  • Hey girls. My friend had her egg retreival today and said it hurt like mad and she was crying. They told her to lay still twice and when she was in recovery she was crying and holding herself in pain. Does anyone remember anything like that? They asked her if she was a heavy drinker. (NOT!) They kind of sound like jerks. Anyway, hope everyone is well. Sorry I haven't been around in awhile, I've been feeding Carly and that's about it. She's a chow hound!
  • Celia_M 02-14-06 | 06:24 AM
  • Sounds like mine

I got given pethidine iv for the pain, the first dose didn't work. Pethidine is a member of the morpheate family of drugs, it's meant to make you not care about the pain, but doesn't actually block it. Believe me I CARED about the pain! I was also wriggling up the table, and they kept telling me to stay still. When I tried to bite dh's arm they gave me a second shot of pethidine and from then on I found it very hard to follow what was happening/being said, but was still in a LOT of pain with it. When they tried to sit me up so I could walk out (!!!!) my blood pressure plummeted and I remember lying there, pins and needles throughout my body, desperately fighting to keep my eyes open. My bp went down to 60/40! Needless to say I didn't walk out and had to be gotten a chair. I spent half the day recovering enough to go home and was in pain for a few days. I still felt traumatised weeks later.
    I refused pethidine when I was giving birth. I've told dh I won't go through another ec with it either.
    I really hope your friend recovers soon! Send her a huge hug from me please! They sound like jerks to me. I really hope her cycle works too

Last edited by Celia_M; 02-14-06 at 06:29 AM..
  • jjello 02-14-06 | 08:24 AM
  • Hi Leslie & Celia,

Those stories are awful!!! What clinics did your friends go to? I'd be raising some hell...

During my retrieval I was completely sedated and felt no pain at all, either during or after it. I wore an oxygen mask and was attached to a heart rate monitor and I felt very safe. I am a real fraidy cat and it was a total breeze. I guess one of the important things to ask a clinic beforehand is how they conduct their retrievals - not that I did that! Live and learn I guess.

HOW'S THAT CARLY????

Happy Valentine's Day!
  • Celia_M 02-14-06 | 09:35 AM
  • It's not something I enjoy remembering for sure! The problem in my area is that we have satellite clinics locally which deal with our meds/scans/blood tests, but for ec/er we go to the biggest hospital in the area. Their self-funding/nhs section doesn't have a room big enough to give full sedation, there's no room for monitors etc. I had asked about it at our first appt, and was reassured it'd be fine. For now I'm just glad it's a discussion for somepoint in the future but I shall be telling our consultant in no uncertain terms how giving birth with just gas&air was Far Less painful than the ec!
    Leslie I'm so glad Carly is feeding so well. I hope you're getting over the worst of the soreness now too - frequent applications of Lanolin really helped for me along with time and practice.

• Celia_M 02-14-06 | 09:37 AM
  • Oh and I just wanted to add a Happy Valentines day right back atcha Julie!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work