Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > January - March Due Date Club >
Boy shot out of a cannon (aka birth story)

Boy shot out of a cannon (aka birth story)

Reply Post New Topic

• rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 03-10-08 | 02:40 PM
  • I went into this knowing that second births are faster, but this is ridiculous!

Dh and I took Marek to the gym so he could play in the pool as usual on Saturday. I'd been feeling crampy and lousy all day, and on the way to the gym (about 4:15) I felt something that I thought was a contraction. I didn't want Pep to miss out on the pool, though, so I figured I'd just keep an eye on what was going on. I probably had 3 more contractions during the time we were in the pool and showering afterward, so I asked dh to drop us off at home and go get some takeout for dinner.

While he was gone, I called my friend the nurse to let her know I might be needing her services

She had me drink a ton and lie down to see if they would go away, but they didn't. At this point (5:45 pm), they were about 8-10 minutes apart. By 6:30, we were at 6-7 minutes apart, so I called the doctor. He told he I could wait a while before coming in. Well, at 7:30, Marek was bathed and ready for bed, and the contractions were 5 minutes apart, some only 3 minutes apart. I told dh we needed to get going.

Dh dropped me at the hospital at 8:10 and went to take Marek to our friends' house (they live right near the hospital). Marek was not settling down to sleep and was really upset, so dh spent a good while there trying to calm him down and get him to bed. In the meantime, my friend Donna (and her 16-year-old daughter, Marek's favorite babysitter) was waiting at the hospital, got me prepped and called the anesthesiologist to request my epidural. I was 6+ cm when I got there. She got me some Fentanyl, and I sat around analyzing how it still hurt just as much but I didn't care any more

Donna was very concerned dh still hadn't shown up, so I tried calling him on the cell. No answer. I wasn't very worried, but she told me after that she knew I was going to go fast this time.

Dh finally rolled through the door at 9:15, just as my water broke. I still wasn't concerned, but Donna was. Just as the anesthesiologist walked in, she checked me and said, "Crap, you're complete." Dh asked what that meant, and I said, "It means no

epidural!" And just then all hell broke loose.

The contractions got insanely horrible and I was dropping some serious profanity! Donna was holding his head in and telling me not to push, because the doctor hadn't arrived yet. There was no controlling my body, and Donna finally called the staff doctor who's on staff in case somebody's regular doctor doesn't get there in time. Bam - Lukas practically shot across the room.

He was 7 lb. 13 oz. and 21.5 inches long and totally perfect. I've got to say, that if I had to do it without an epidural, I'm glad it was so fast. Total labor time from first contraction to birth - 5 hours and 12 minutes.

• savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 03-10-08 | 02:43 PM

•  
    Amazing birth story. Congrats!!!
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 03-10-08 | 02:45 PM
  • Congratulations, Rudi! I know it's not how you envisioned it happening but I'm glad he's here safely and you're both healthy! Can't wait to see some pics of Lukas!

Welcome to the world, Lukas!

• the_littleminx the_littleminx's Avatar 03-10-08 | 02:49 PM
  • Wonderful! I guess he was making up for lost time.

So happy to hear he arrived safe and sound, and since you couldn't get the epi I'm glad it went so quickly.

• Oreo Oreo's Avatar 03-10-08 | 02:49 PM
  • Dang, girlfriend!!! You are good!! And, BTW-- I threw the F-bomb at my anesthesologist!!!

Congrats on a beautiful baby and "easy" aka safe and quick labor!!

baby Lukas!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work