Baby Corner

Old 08-27-07, 08:24 PM
OMG I have 4 kids! :)

Thanked 12 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.57%
Default Brandimichelle

Oh yay! I can bounce my newly acquired twin knowledge off of someone!

At the ultrasound I had at 6 1/2 weeks, there were definitely 2 yolks sacs. From what I've read so far, the medical research all indicates that the number of yolk sacs should correlate with the number of amniotic sacs. I did read one personal story of a woman who had 2 confirmed yolk sacs at an early u/s, but still ended up with mono-mono twins although her doctors could not explain how that happened. So...I'm really feeling good about the chances of these twins NOT being monoamniotic since from what I've read it would be extremely rare to have it end up that way.

Have you had any specific experience with the yolk sac correlation? I found the research articles that talk about it, but always like to hear real life experience too.

My OB is all freaked out that these are monoamniotic, but he also tends to be a rather paranoid guy, and either isn't familiar enough with this specific stuff to know of the yolk sac correlations or maybe he didn't pay attention to the picture or report from the ultrasound technician showing them??? Or maybe he has seen 2 yolks sacs still end up monoamniotic??

Any thoughts?

Old 08-28-07, 12:06 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 69.14%

i've not had that much experience with mono-mono amniotic twins, however, i have heard and read that you are completely correct about the yolk sacs correlating with the number of sacs.... i would try to hold out until your ultrasound to be completely sure however, i feel pretty good you've got two sacs.... because if you think about the purpose of the yolk sacs... it is to feed the baby in the first few weeks.... so it would only make sense to me that their will be two sacs.... sharing one placenta is not uncommon at all.... actually i don't know that i've saw twins yet that didn't share a placenta... when is your next ultrasound?

we actually have a girl pregnant now on a different floor with mono mono twins, she has other complications though.... so i'll dig up some research!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools