Baby Corner

Old 01-14-10, 05:09 PM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.54%
Default Blood work today

I went in today and got blood work done to see if my numbers are doubling like they should. I've never done this test before, but I'm just not feeling very positive about this pg. I took another HPT this morning and its still very faint. Same as 2 days ago tests. From my unscientific testing, it should be darker. With my other three kids I enjoyed watching the colored line get darker every couple of days. These tests all look the same. I'm still not having any symptoms.

So the blood clinic isn't open on Saturday, so I go back on Monday to see how my numbers are looking. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results back after the second draw? I've never done this before!

Laura

Old 01-14-10, 05:16 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6620.77%

Laura, I've been there and I can say that you can't judge solely based on symptoms and HPTs. The numbers will tell the whole story.

When I have my blood drawn for betas, I go early in the morning because I know the numbers will be back that day. Every office is different, though. I'd check with your doctor and find out how quickly you can know results. Most OBs understand the stress of waiting to find out if things are progressing. Can you call your doc tomorrow to find out today's numbers? They'd easily be back tomorrow, I'd think.

The good news is that you're still getting BFPs so hang on to that and try not to stress (yeah--look who's talking, right?

).

Old 01-14-10, 05:30 PM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 1.54%

Thanks Deana. I'm doing ok really. I do want to know what's going on and I do really want another baby, but this one just isn't feeling right. That's why I called and was very happily surprised when they immediately offered to get my blood work drawn when I said this was my 4th pg and its not feeling right.

I'll probably get to go in at lunch time Monday as that's when my DH can take the kids. The girls know the OB's office and the blood draw clinic very well and they've been telling me were going to have another baby for a week (they started days before I took the HPT). The same thing happened when I was pg with Everett. They knew! I don't want them to get their hopes up for another baby to love if this one isn't going to keep KWIM? I told them I was going in for a blood test for a check up (which is mostly true) and Nicole got worried and said that I was healthy. We talked about them going in for check ups and she felt better, but she worries about my health a lot!

So I should know by Tuesday then if everything is looking right. My DH wanted me to call tomorrow for the numbers from today's draw, but that will just say that I'm pg and its the doubling that's important right? He likes numbers

If he really wants me to call then I will to get the first results, but I don't want to bug them for curiosity of what the numbers are if they won't tell me anything that I don't already know.

Laura

Old 01-14-10, 07:27 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6620.77%

I'm like your DH--I like numbers. I like to have that first number in my little hands as soon as possible so that when the other numbers come in, I have something to which to compare it. Sometimes, docs won't tell you the actual numbers; they just say, "The numbers are doubling fine" or "The numbers weren't what we'd hoped..." If I have the numbers, then I feel more "in control" of my own health (not that there was ever anything I could do when the numbers weren't great, but you know...).

Oh, Laura, I hope this is a perfectly healthy baby who joins your family in late summer. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you this weekend.

Old 01-14-10, 07:53 PM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 1.54%

I'm wondering if having the actual numbers will make me go crazy though

I know that I must have O'd early last month as the only time we BDed was on CD 11 as I got really sick 2 days later and then it went through the family. It was a bad month for TTC. CD 12 I woke up to fertile CM and it lasted for 3 days. So ovulation happened sometime in there. So unless we go with a very long implantation period, I should be feeling pretty pg by now and the line should be dark on the tests!

I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much, but of course my entire thought process is around this new baby! I know you understand! If this one doesn't stick, then we'll TTC as soon as we can again. Everett needs a buddy to grow up with! By the time he's 12, the girls will be graduated from HS, in college and could be engaged or married! Honestly, Christine could be married and have a baby of her own by the time he's 12. It would be very lonely in our house with just him for his adolescence! He needs a buddy! With the 6 and 7 1/2 yr gap, he'll be really spoiled as well. A close in age sibling will help normalize him

Laura

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools