Baby Corner

Old 08-24-11, 03:58 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Gavin Connors birth story

This is my 3rd child and all of them were inductions. Originally, I was hoping to go natural Gavin and it looked like I might, but when my doctor offered an early induction due to my Gestational diabetes, I went ahead and took it and I know now that it was the best decision for us.
The night before the induction, we found otu my ex husband's wife was going to be having an emergency c section on the same day. it caused a lot of negative emotions for a while, but then I decided it just didn't matter and I was going to focus on my own birth.
We had lots of grand plans for a big breakfast but my step daughter woke up late and I had to go pick my daughter up from her dad's before heading to the hospital so that didn't happen.
I got checked in at 7:30 and by 8 they had started pitocin. My doctor came in at 8:30 and I was already contracting good so he went ahead and broke my water and told me I could have my epidural whenever I was ready.
The morning was pretty relaxed. All the kids were with us in the room and by noon all the grandparents were as well. Around 10:30 I asked for the epidural because I was having to breath through the contractions and I was dialated to 4. The epidural was fabulous and the guy who did it was great! With my second child, they had to stick me 4 times...this guy got it on the first try. They checked me at 11:30 because there was another woman who was being induced who was ready to push and they wanted to see if my doctor could deliver us both in one trip. I was only a 5. Almost as soon as the nurse left the room, the baby's heartbeat started to drop. I knew from my previous births that I need to roll onto my side. My husband helped me get rolled over and the nurse came in to get the monitors adjusted, and checked me again and I had gone to a 7-8. They were telling me that I would be delivered next, but then my doctor had to run and do an emergency c section at another hospital so I had to wait another hour.
Once my doctor came in everythign happened pretty fast. Everyone left the room except my mom and my husband. I still wasn't feeling anythign besides pressure so the atmosphere in the room was pretty upbeat. the doctors and nurses were making wagers about the birth weight based on the size of the head. I think I pushed through 5 contraction before he was out! I did end up having to have an episiotomy which I was hoping to avoid but my doctor said I was tearing anyway. Thankfully, it was only 2nd degree tears.
The best thing about this birth over my other ones is that as soon as they were done with the initial measurements and cleaned him off, they laid him on my bare chest and told me to just leave him there until he started showing hunger signs. It took an hour and half, but once he did, he latched on perfectly and we haven't had any nursing issues since other than a little nipple blister which he managed to nurse off pretty quickly.
He is slightly jaundiced still even after a week, but he's getting less and less every day. We are basically just nursing as often as he will take it and doing sun baths.
I am just so glad that i had him when I did and he is healthy and home! My ex's son is still in the NICU and on Friday my niece who was due the same day as me lost her baby. The cord got tangled around her ankles and kinked bad enough to cut off oxygen. Yesterday was her funeral and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through. I realize how easily it could have been me instead of her. It also reaffirmed my decision for the induction because if I had still been pregnant when that happened to her, I would have probably lost it and resorted to castor oil or something.
He was 7lbs and 3 oz and 19.5 inches long.

Old 08-24-11, 04:17 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%

It sounds as if it went very smoothly and I'm glad you have Gavin home with yu safe and sound.
It is so sad about your neice. I hope she can find the strength she needs to get through her grief.

Old 08-26-11, 12:32 AM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I am so happy for you and your precious Gavin. Breaks my heart for your niece.

Old 08-26-11, 10:37 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

Sounds like everything went pretty smoothly. Sorry to hear about your niece.

Old 08-26-11, 11:33 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Congratulations to you and your family!

I'm so sorry about your niece.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools