Baby Corner

Old 08-11-09, 07:36 PM
Community Member

Thanked 248 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 520%
Default Moxie's birth story

I don't think I ever posted it. Did I?

The morning of Friday 7/17 I had a check up and my BP was way beyond parameters. Even on a 2 med combo it was too elevated and I had major swelling and decreased fetal movement. The US &NST that morning showed that she had not grown since the last measurement and was ok but not a perky as she should be.

DH and the kids had driven me in but were pretty wiped out from a 1000 mile road trip to see DS at his graduation from basic. My lead OB had told me a few days prior that DH needed to head back ASAP so I kind of knew the direction we were headed in. DH and the kids went to grab lunch while I walked up to L & D.

I got all settled in, in my room. Since I had so many admissions this pg I knew my nurses, it was kind of nice. They all knew about my hearing loss and how to get my attention, write notes one even made sure I had fresh batteries in my CI before they took my into the OR.

DH had called my parents who were supposed to be driving in at some point that weekend and found out that they were only an hour away. Dad had been up early and couldn't sleep so they had gone ahead and started driving. They made it in about an hour before Moxie was born.

I was pretty anxious about her size and worried about her lungs and digestive organs. (At one point we had been given a possible adverse prenatal dx. Although further testing was reassuring, we wouldn't know if it was MMIH until she was out.) Prep was easy, the nurses were great. The anesthesiologist came by to ask a few questions then my lead OB and my peri stopped in.

Since I am deaf and my implant can cut in and out DH was allowed to be by my side at all times to interpret. (No time to arragne for a terp.) I was wheeled in to the OR and transfered to the table. The epi hurt, like a bee string. The only problem was it wouldn't take and I got stung over and over again. DH kept his hands by my head since I couldn't make anything out with everyone masked. With the exception of Carlos Santana, at one point I thought I was losing it, I swore I heard a riff and everyone started laughing. My OB had the CD going. It took 45 mins to get me numb but then everything went fast. My BP dipped down a couple of times and made me lightheaded but otherwise no pain or discomfort.

They pulled Moxie out and I did hear her cry. She looked ok at first but then I started to get anxious while they were working on her. I got to see her very briefly then she was taken back to the warmer station in the OR room. She was 5lbs 3 oz, 17 3/4 inches long.

We were moved at about the same time. My room adjoined her private NICU room so I could see her at all times. She was on oxygen and a cpap to begin with and also had a feeding tube.
The suite had a double bed, mini kitchen and full bath so DH and the kids stayed with us most of the time. I was moved to boarder status after 7 days (I had had some BP issues - the c-sec stuff was no bad at all.)

Moxie was discharged after 14 days. We are thrilled to be home. There are still some unknowns, she failed her hearing screen and has an ABR on 8/25. She does not have MMIH but her muscle tone is a little low and there are some concerns with her tongue and chin. Her weight check on Friday she was up a whole pound to 6lbs 3 oz. She is still on oxygen and will be for a while due in part to our altitude.

It was a heck of a ride but we made it. I am absolutely in love.
Attached Thumbnails
To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-11-09, 08:29 PM
is just one of those weird girls.
A work in progress

Thanked 84 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

She is beautiful...with a name to suit her!
Thank you Mommy2Matthias!
alb526 (08-13-09)

Old 08-11-09, 08:57 PM
is shocked!
Moma to 3 amazing kids!

Thanked 986 Times
Weekly Activity 520%

Great story Amy. Glad everything worked out in the end! Moxie is beautiful and I love her hair.
Thank you Keepers!
alb526 (08-13-09)

Old 08-11-09, 10:50 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Moxie is such a cutie! With everything you have been through- you must be so happy she is here and to have her home!
Thank you Mark'sbabygirl!
alb526 (08-13-09)

Old 08-11-09, 11:15 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

What a great story! I'm glad she's doing well and I hope she continues to improve at a steady pace!

Thank you Dopey406!
alb526 (08-13-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools