Baby Corner

Old 08-28-09, 11:35 PM
is shocked!
Moma to 3 amazing kids!

Thanked 986 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 26%
Talking Presley's Birth Story

I'll go with the long version since I know you girls love details lol..

I had to be at the hospital at midnight Tuesday. I got there and got registered and headed back to the labor and delivery. I had more paperwork there and finally got into my room around 12:45. My nurse came in and asked 100 questions I swear then I had she started my IV, which hurt like a mother. She put it in the back of my forearm.

I have no idea why because I have really good veins. Then they hooked me up to fluid and tells me to let them know if and when I wanted my epidural because it would take about 45 minutes to push another bag and a half of fluid they require before they will give you the epi. After the IV fluids they started the pitocin. By this time it was about 2am. Nothing was happening. No contractions at all (or at least nothing I could really tell). At about 6am I started feeling them and knew it would be at least 45min to a hour before I could get the epidural so I went ahead and asked for it at 6am. I waited to long with Parker and the epi didnt work and I didnt want that to happen this time. So the anestiologist came in at 6:45 and gave me my epi. He had me lay on my side to get it. With both boys I was sitting up and leaning over but not this time. Anyways he was pressing on my back with his thumb and OMG it hurt so bad. It hurt worse than the actual procedure. He also took forever. Well I get rolled over after the epi and I am still feeling the contrax on my left side. I knew this wasnt normal. So I told the nurse and she said it is prob a hot spot. So they gave me a redose and put me on my left side so the medicine would gravitate that way. Well then it was time for the nurse to put the cath in. OMG it hurt so bad. I could still feel down there too. I shouldnt have been feeling that. I also felt like the cath wasnt in right. Almost like I was peeing around the cath as well as into it. I told the nurse(different nurse this time because of shift change at 7) that it hurt and she just said well your going in it and blew me off. So I just dealt with it and took a nap. That was about 7:15am. After that I took a nap and woke up to the cath hurting so bad. I was screaming at my mom to get the nurse, she had to take it out. I didnt care if I wet myself the cath had to come out. So she checked me and said ok I know why you want it out. You are a 9cm. Then she went to put that into the computer and to get the stuff to take the cath out. (I was screaming at this point because it hurt so bad). I was also screaming out for the anestiologist to give me more. The nurse then said wait just an hour ago you were a 3, let me recheck you. I was begging her not to cause it was too painful. She said she had too. Well she checked me again(it had only been 3 minutes) and she said Oh your complete and fully effaced. She was a little worried cause at this time I was telling her not so nicely that she was coming. I had to push. (They gave me a redose of the epi but it didnt have time to hit me before she was born.) She said to pant and breathe. Yeah right! (Totally give you props Chandra) I was still screaming I have to push. Luckily my doctor was next door because another mother was pushing. She ran over there and got him out of that room to come to mine. He came in and said are we ready. I was screaming still at this time cause I knew she was just gonna come out with no one to catch her cause he was putting on his gown. So they hurry and get the bed ready and my legs are squeezed tight so she wouldnt fall out. The nurse went to put my leg in the stirrup and told my husband to do the other one and my doctor looked and said go ahead and push Leann. I said I cant, no I cant. (Im a wuss I know) I was crawling up the bed instead of pushing. Presley was coming out anyway because they opened my legs and put them up, so my doctor just took his hand and reached in and cupped her head and it came out and the rest of her body just slid out. It felt like I was being ripped in two. So she was born with out me even pushing. While he was getting the placenta out another nurse that was in there with the other mom came and got him out of my room to go back to that room cause she was having that baby. He came back and said that he was glad that we saved him the gas from having to come back lol. There was 3 babies born within 20 minutes that morning.
Presley was born at 9:43a on 8/26. She weighed 6lbs3oz and was 20inches long.
We had about 1.5 hours with her before they took her to the nursery. They said that she would stay in the nursery for 3 hours and then they would bring her to the room to feed. Well 3 hours came and went so I sent DH to find out what was going on. They said she was having rapid breathing and was getting labs drawn on her and an Xray. Well we had to wait for those results. They came back great. Everything looked normal. But she was still having rapid respirations. It was like 90-125 resp/min. They want it between 30-60/min. The doctor said I could nurse or hold her until it got down to 70 or less. Well it got down to 70 and I tried to nurse but she started having increase resp again and we had to stop. Well she started to get better and said at 12 hours old they would check her and if her resp were good we could take her back to our room but if we were sleeping or napping we had to bring her back to the nursery for them to monitor her. Well we go to the nursery to see her at 12 hours old and her resp went back up. They had to do more blood draw which took about 45 min of her squeezing the life out of her foot. That came back good too. We had to give her formula because her blood sugar got low from not eating. This has put a damper on bf. The next day we went to see her and they said she was able to go to our room. I was sooooo excited. But she still couldnt bf because her resp werent under 70. It took about 8 hours to get it below that before we could try to bf again. She did really well. She is a great latcher. She just gets mad because she had the bottle and didnt have to work for it. So I have been putting her to the breast for atleast 10 minuted trying to get her to stay there but then I would supplement with the formula. She is still doing this. I think my milk is about to come in and I think she will do great with bf then. The doctor said that she was having a prolonged transition going from the belly to the outside world. She had to figure this out on her own and she did!!!! They let us come home today. It has been great so far. Big brothers Peyton and Parker are in love and want to hold her and give her kisses constantly lol. I still cant believe that she is already here and that she is so perfect. She looks just like what Peyton did as a newborn.
If you made it this far you are amazing lol.

Old 08-29-09, 12:48 AM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 1%

OMG LeAnn! What a story! Sounds like quite an ordeal and kind of similar to what we went through. Sounds like little Peyton is going to be spunky! I am so glad that she is doing well and that you guys got to come home. I can't wait to see more pics of her and of her with her big brothers. I am sure you are very tired, very sore, and very happy! Congrats to one of my first TBC friends- I am tearing up right now knowing that we both have our precious baby girls that we prayed for for so long. I am so happy for you it is beyond words! Congrats my dear friend!
Thank you Mark'sbabygirl!
Keepers (08-29-09)

Old 08-29-09, 01:02 AM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Weekly Activity 6%

Congrats! The whole catheter ordeal sounds awful and that sucks that you had to go through that. Its amazing she was born without even pushing. I'm really glad that she's healthy and everything went well (except for the mishaps, of course). Can't wait to see pictures!
Thank you LMB2007!
Keepers (08-29-09)

Old 08-29-09, 01:47 AM
Soon-to-Be Mommy of 3!

Thanked 309 Times
Weekly Activity 1%

Wow LeAnn! I can't believe how quickly it all went! I'm glad everything turned out okay with her breathing and she had no infections. I know what you mean about squeezing her foot forever - it's so horrible to watch your baby be tortured like that, and you can't do anything to help! I'm sure the breastfeeding will be great once your milk comes in - the latch is 90% of it and she already has that down!

Oh and... that catheter thing is just awful.

I could feel when they put it in before my c-section with Laela, I wasn't numb yet, and that is the WORST pain!!
Thank you ChandyRae!
Keepers (08-29-09)

Old 08-29-09, 03:29 AM
is cancer free :)
Community Member

Thanked 432 Times
Weekly Activity 46%

LeAnn - what a story - I feel your pain with the birth - the catheter thing sounds horrible! Glad your finally home - hope the breastfeeding continues to improve! Join us in the playgroups!
Thank you amitrat!
Keepers (08-29-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools