Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Tracey...

Reply Post New Topic

• Keepers Keepers's Avatar 03-18-09 | 01:20 PM
  • I am in an American Government class and we have a debate coming up as to whether America should adopt the National healthcare System. Could you tell me from experience what you think the pros and cons are for having that system. Thanks so much in advance.
    *LeAnn*

• Mark'sbabygirl Mark'sbabygirl's Avatar 03-18-09 | 01:30 PM
  • I can tell you one pro--- they pay for IVF so that Tracey and Neil can have a BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Keepers Keepers's Avatar 03-18-09 | 01:34 PM
  • That is a plus huh!!! Thank goodness for IVF!!!!!
  • Tracey and Neil Tracey and Neil's Avatar 03-21-09 | 08:14 PM
  • Yes, that was a HUGE bonus to us! Although, there was a strict criteria we had to meet in order to be eligible for NHS IVF treatment. In order to be treated for free neither of us were allowed to have children adopted or biological from current/previous relationships. We both had to be non-smokers. I had to be below a certain BMI. We also had to wait the 3 years to get to the front of the queue.

I also want to point out that as someone who is in employment I do have to pay National Insurance contributions, they equal about 800 a year ($1200) and are taken at source, but whether I'm employed, self-employed or not working I am entitled to the same treatment.

In my opinion the Pros and Cons are...

Cons of NHS in UK
    Waiting lists for treatment
    Less ability to chose who/where treated (although not always the case)
    Postcode (zipcode) lottery for funding new/expensive treatments

Pros of NHS in UK
    Free medical/very low cost dental and optical treatment for everyone regardless of age, financial status, insurance cover or ability to pay
    Only paying 8 ($12) for any prescription item
    Free prescriptions and dental for pregnant women (and for the first year after birth)
    Free prescriptions for children, the over 60's and for people with certain chronic conditions.
    No 'CoPay'

I just wanted to add the cons of Private treatment in UK
    Emergency treatment (ER) or intensive care not widely available privately in the UK
    When things go wrong the NHS often ends up picking up the pieces anyway

It is an interesting debate, but I have to say I wouldn't want to live in a country where they didn't have a national health service. Having spoken to many of you lovely Americans over the years I've been here, I've often been shocked to hear of some of you paying $1,000's for treatment, or having to make choices about how to pay for your 'co-pay'.

I am thankful for the system we have. I've never had to make a decision about whether to get my car fixed or buy less groceries or cancel a holiday so we can pay any CoPay.

I am well, and healthy, and looked after, and yes... pregnant, all because of the NHS.
  • Keepers Keepers's Avatar 03-22-09 | 08:25 AM
  • Thanks Tracey. I think that we should adopt the NHS although I doubt we ever will. I think your pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated!