Baby Corner

Old 08-06-09, 02:45 AM
Community Member

Thanked 126 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default We are Home!!!

Wow it has been a crazy few days. I am just going to start at beginning - it is easier. This is very long.

First let me say DP's family is amazing. MIL, FIL, Aunt and Grandma were all here taking care of big kids (daycare, camps and meals etc) and our assorted pets. But that did add a layer of additional stress. The weekend was deep cleaning the house for all those people to stay for a few days.

Aunt and Grandma were in charge of shuttling the kids on Monday and waiting for us to call and say baby arrived. MIL and FIL arrived late afternoon Monday and were also waiting.

DP and I went in for induction at 7:30 and they started the meds around 8:30, bumping the Pit every 1/2 hour. DP told me to go to sleep - so that was fine for me. I slept all morning and woke up for lunch (not a bad deal all in all). By then the Pit was up to 16 and DP sent me to get my lunch (quickly). While at lunch the contractions kicked in and things started getting active. We waited for OB to come and check dialation but the nurse checked at about 2 and it was 4 so DP got her epidural - that was fast and very effective. Asthesia Nurse was great did the epi between 90 second contractions and DP was really happy with it. Contractions were steady for afternoon at about 90 seconds and cervix continued to dialate. At about 4:30 nurse checked and said DP was at about 8 - DP was breathing through the contracts and had good pressure. At about 4:45 OB checked and DP was still 8 but baby was +2. They waited about 30-45 min more and checked again. We waited and just breathed through the contractions - didn't want another check that said - oh no you are still at 8 or 9 keep waiting

. OB was surprised that baby had moved so far down and was like ok time to push. They started getting ready - OB told DP to push while they were getting organized. DP said no I will just wait till you are closer with gloves etc.

. Note - baby tolerated contractions great the whole time.

So everyone was organized and DP pushed one time - Baby's head came fully out on one push. OB removed two wraps of the cord around baby's neck and moved the 1 arm that was waving on the way out. DP pushed one more time and baby was out. We were amazed only 2 pushes and Baby was born at 5:40.

So after a long story - what you really wanted to know was:

Nathanael Thomas joined our family on 8/3 - 7 lbs 14oz, and 19 3/4 inches.

We stayed an extra 12 hours in hospital due to a slightly elevated bili level and are on outpatient checks tomorrow. He is a great nurser and is already transitioning to real poops. My nap came in handy because I walked him around the floor most of the night between feedings so that DP could sleep. I either held him or walked the bassinet so it was nice time.

First walk around the neighborhood tonight since IL's and Family took big kids for an adventure - what a wonderful gift (three days to get to know the new addition and just do some simple adjusting). Big kids are really excited and helped with names and spelling- DP is feeling better than she has felt in months. We are very exited and ready for the next steps.

Old 08-06-09, 08:46 AM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

congrats!

Old 08-06-09, 10:49 AM
is shocked!
Moma to 3 amazing kids!

Thanked 986 Times
Weekly Activity 520%

Congratulations. Sounds like DP had a great labor and delivery! That is such a pretty name for your little boy!

Old 08-06-09, 11:21 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Congrats!

Old 08-06-09, 11:51 AM
is wondering around the boards again!!
Mommy of 3

Thanked 316 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Congrats!!!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools