Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Welcome to TBC! > Meet & Greet! Does anyone know about it?

Does anyone know about it?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-30-17, 06:22 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 500%
Smile Does anyone know about it?

Is it easier to find your own SM or going for it through a clinic? Where is less cost and hassle?

Old 11-03-17, 01:34 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1200%

Hi there Cameron Floyd. Welcome to this forum. I think you will find many different answers to this question here. This is a highly subjective question. Personal preference etc can play a huge part in it. Many clinics don’t even give you that option. They just simply find one for you. You have to go along with it. Or else go to some other clinic. The choice of SM shouldn’t really matter. As long as she is healthy, it doesn’t matter. I mean when it comes to egg donor then it could make a difference. That’s because that would influence the genetic makeup. Meanwhile, with an SM that does not make a difference. So, just pick whatever option feels better to you.

Old 11-03-17, 02:32 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1000%

Hello. Cameron, I am happy to see more and more people considering surrogacy. I hope you are lucky with it. Also, that it works out well for you. Finding a surrogate mother can be a challenge. As a woman, it is easy to get attached to the child you are carrying. Unless a proper contract is signed there are chances that the SM might get cold feet at the end. As far as I know, there are places where the SM can change her mind even if there is a contract. I have heard Peru is one of those places. There the SM is free to make a choice right until the time of birth. Working with a clinic helps eliminate that problem. They only work with people who have done this before. Therefore, there is a lower risk of something like this happening. So, in terms of a hassle, it is much easier to find an SM through the clinic.

Old 11-03-17, 04:51 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1200%

Hello ladies. Finding an SM is a tough task. Costs can vary for this. You need to make sure that the person you are trusting to carry your child is up to the task. If the clinic allows, you can find the SM yourself too. Many clinics though don’t give you that option. Suppose if you did have that option and you decide to go for it. Then you would have to find a suitable woman. Have tests conducted on her? You would require guarantees that she does not smoke etc. Moreover, during her pregnancy, you would be required to keep tabs on her. Make sure she is following a healthy routine etc. On the other hand, if you let the clinic handle the selection of the SM, then you don’t need to worry about this. The clinic manages it all. Of course, this comes at an additional price. So, it's your choice. Whether you want to ease or affordability.

Old 11-03-17, 05:49 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1400%

Hello Cameron. Surrogacy is such a big decision. It is probably the best chance for many women. It was for me. This is why I didn’t want to take any chances. I wanted to let the professionals handle everything. This included the selection of the SM. The clinic I went to really didn’t give me a choice anyway. Once the egg and sperm retrieval was done, they proceeded with selecting the SM. Once they had found one, they inserted the fertilized eggs into her. I wasn’t allowed to meet her until the 12th week. After that, I was in contact with her almost constantly. The clinic accommodated her and provided her with all the facilities. I knew my child was in safe hands. The extra cost was worth the peace of mind.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools