Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Birth Story

Reply Post New Topic

• MaybeBaby4 MaybeBaby4's Avatar 01-01-09 | 05:43 PM
  • I could probably write four pages or more of my labor and birth story .... However i will try to cut it down to a readable amount.

I will start by saying i hate cervidil!!! When we got to the hospital i was already having contractions on my own. Though they were small they were six minutes apart. After about an hour or so i was checked and approved for the cervidil. My cervix was not effaced and was far back. I was 1-2cm. The placed the cervidil and i had to lay flat on my back for 2 hours. Almost immediately the cramping/contractions started and were quite uncomfortable within 30 min. By an hour i was having contraction almost one on top of the other and they were painful enough for me not to be able to talk through them. This continued through the night. About 4am they took the cervidil out. I was hoping the contractions would stop at this point. I was in a lot of pain. every cervical check was excruciating. The nurse said the cervidil had irritated my cervix. I got in the shower and washed up a bit. About 6:00am they started pitocin. I was still having contractions every couple of minutes. I had been up all night i was tired and emotional. My cervix had thinned out some but was still not dilating.
    The told me my doctor was going to come in the course of the morning and break my water. At about 10:00am I finally fell asleep. Even though i was still having contractions it had been 24 hours since i had slept and my body finally just gave in to it. I slept for about 2 hours. The nurse came in and said my doctor would be coming within an hour or so. She showed up at about 1:00pm
    When she checked me it hurt so bad i actually screamed. she said i was 3 and tried to break my water. Unfortunately she missed the sack and had to get her fingers back into my cervix and try again. I was crying when she was done and she suggested i get an epidural before it was too late. By about 1:45 i had my epidural and was feeling a lot better. About 2:15 my bladder felt full so they came in a cathed me. As soon as my bladder was emptied i could feel Maya Start to come down the birth canal. I told the nurse that she was coming down so she checked me and said i was 7 and baby was definately coming. She called the doctor. I was starting to feel a lot of pressure and hoping the doctor would make it in time. She walked in just as Maya was starting to crown. I pushed once then i screamed and cussed. I think it just happened so fast i was in a bit of shock. So i started apologizing for cussing and losing control. DH calmed me quickly and i pushed her head out. I gave it one more good push..... Then i looked down and saw a little hand! I was crying hysterically as they placed her on my belly. No matter how many times you do it there is nothing nothing in the world like seeing your child for the first time.

Maya was 7lbs 1oz
    19 1/2 inches long
    born at 2:44 pm
  • Valleygirl Valleygirl's Avatar 01-01-09 | 07:09 PM
  • Sorry it was so painful and long, but what a great reward! Congratulations!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work