Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Failed

Reply Post New Topic

• Sharil Sharil's Avatar 08-28-08 | 12:10 PM
  • Jill when you go to see the nutritionist ask her to help you make out a meal plan the nutritionist is there to help you with this stuff and if its your first time being diabetic while pregnant they will help you out a lot. My breakfasts mostly consist of a two egg cheese omelet, two sausage patties and one piece of whole wheat toast. Make sure the bread you eat has at least three grams of fiber in it it will help you absorb the carbs slower. If you stick to the diet and everything else they want you to do you should do fine hun and be glad you arent having to do nine shots a day and test your sugars 7 times a day like me. If you need any advice feel free to send me pms I will help however i can.
  • jillrn jillrn's Avatar 08-28-08 | 10:11 PM
  • I test 7 times daily. I only give myself 3-6 shots sometimes 7 if they are bad. You really want to keep track of your sugars. The complications for the baby are not worth it. Testing 2 hours after the start of your meal you want them to be under 120. I actually keep mine a little tighter than that. I give myself a shot if it is over 110 2 hours after I eat. Only 1 unit though. But your dr will guide you. ALWAYS keep a protein bar on you at all times in case your sugar goes low. I like Slimfast peanut butter crisp bars. (snack size) They taste like a butterfinger! LOL
    Meals for me-
    B 2 eggs, lean sausage or turkey sausage and 1 toast
    OR 2 Toast with Peanutbutter (heavy on the PB) and small glass of milk.
    OR Protein shake but it doesnt stay with me long.
    Lunch- Sandwich with 2 pieces of bread, meat and cheese, and some veggies
    OR Soup and Sandwich as long as the soup isnt too high in carbs or starch.
    OR Chicken with a small potato and veggies
    Dinner- Meat, starch and veggie, Salads are great b/c they are free and dont really affect your sugar as long as you watch the dressing you put on it. Make sure it is a low carb dressing. (Usually the creamy ones) (Dont worry too terribly much about the fat content- just dont overdue it.) I try and eat lots of salads b/c it fills you up and really doesnt do much for increasing your blood sugar. THere is usually not enough tomotoes carrots cukes etc to make much of a difference. Put nuts on the salad too for extra protein. I love raisins on a salad but I stay away from them now. I also dont drink any juice or eat fruit very much at all. I just dont tolerate it blood sugar wise. If I eat fruit, I eat plain strawberries or blueberries. Bannanas will really raise your sugar fast. You will have to do some testing to see what works for you this is just what I have found works the best for me. This is my 3rd time doing this myself, but being a nurse I take care of tons of diabetics. I had healthy babies that were normal weight with no complications for baby or mommy. I was however extremely strict with myself. I also like to take a very brisk walk soon after eating as it helps the blood sugar stay lower. Good luck and let us know how the appt goes. Jill
  • Sharil Sharil's Avatar 08-29-08 | 04:30 PM
  • Jill what Jill means by a small glass of milk is no more than 8 ounces too. Milk has 12 grams of carbs in it and can make your sugars go up easily, also my dietician told me to stay away from the cereals for breakfast cause they make your sugars go up really high. My docs have me test 1 hour after eatting and want it to be between 100-120 one hour after. They dont have me on a sliding scale right now though cause of how high my dosages are anyway. I think they do it a little different when you have a history of diabetes before pregnancy and gestational not sure on that though. I do know each doc is different. One key thing is making sure you dont skip any meals or your snacks when you do that it throws things off a lot. Basically I am allowed 2 carb servings at breakfast , 1 carb at morning snack and afternoon snack, 3-4 carbs for lunch and dinner and 2 for bedtime snack. The nice thing is you never really feel hungry. I agree with Jill salads are nice cause they are free, also sugar free jello is free (not the pudding though cause its made with milk) I hope we have been helpful.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work