Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth >
Children present for the birth?

Children present for the birth?

Reply Post New Topic

• :domesticgoddess: :domesticgoddess:'s Avatar 12-08-04 | 08:36 PM
  • If you have had or plan to have a homebirth, will you allow your other children to be present? Why or why not?
  • Jenivere Jenivere's Avatar 12-09-04 | 04:33 PM
  • I planned to have my son there with someone to watch him, entertain him and take him out of the room if needed.

As it turned out he slept through the whole thing so no help was needed. I think it was good for him that I did not have to leave him for a few days and come back with a baby. This way he went to sleep one night and woke to a baby sister. It made for a smooth transition I think.
  • loveslife 12-16-04 | 11:47 AM
  • Our 3 older children were present for the homebirth. It was their choice,
    and even when our original plan was a hospital birth, I wanted them to be there

It was such a beautiful experience to be able to share as a family.

On a side note, I am kind of a rebel at heart

and if society's way of thinking is
    moreso that the children shouldn't be present at a birth, you can bet I would only
    encourage the opposite

That being said, my children have expressed many times
    how much they loved being at their baby sister's birth.
  • tarziesgirl tarziesgirl's Avatar 12-18-04 | 02:14 AM
  • I'd really like for my son to be there, but only if he wants to be. He has already said that he wants to be there. My midwife said that she doesn't think he's the type of kid to get scared at that sort of thing anyway. I already have someone planned out to be here just for him. He's a big talker though and I worry that I might need for him to leave if I get too stressed out. I think everything will work out how its supposed to be though.
  • babyMarksMom babyMarksMom's Avatar 12-18-04 | 04:22 AM
  • with my first home birth, relatives are friends dropped by throughout the day..staying briefy with me then playing with my two kids awhile. the kids would come to see me then go play or eat. they were not in the room for the actual birth, but came in as soon as dd was born. with my last, the older girls really wanted to be there, and I almost didn't wake them in time ( hey..I was deeply concentrating ).

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work