Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Cord Blood Storage

Reply Post New Topic

• Bethann73 Bethann73's Avatar 06-14-05 | 11:39 AM
  • Have you considered storing your baby's umbilical cord blood?? How did you come to your decision ??
  • rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 06-14-05 | 09:54 PM
  • I feel pretty rebellious about the whole thing. It makes me angry that these companies who do the storage advertise using guilt - "Don't you want to save your child from having diabetes?" While the benefits of cord blood are obvious, the companies that sell this service exaggerate the statistics for how likely your child (or another family member) will ever need it. In the meantime, you are paying thousands of dollars to collect and store it. In my own research, I have found the odds of needing cord blood are small enough that I feel justified not collecting it, or collecting it and donating it. I have heard that even donation is not cheap.
  • :domesticgoddess: :domesticgoddess:'s Avatar 06-15-05 | 03:59 AM
  • I might honestly have considered it had we the money to do so. I don't see a real crucial need for it, but after losing two children the thought of losing another is more than I can honestly bear. The possibility of saving my children is pretty tempting. I have donated 3 or maybe 4 (can't remember anymore) of my children's cords for research. I am part of a study on Rheumatoid Arthritis at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. During pregnancy, many women that have RA experience a partial and temporary "remission" from symptoms. Researchers are studying why different pregnancies make for varying remissions. The hope it to produce a synthetic drug that will mock the process that occurs during pg to create remissions in people.

But I digress...

• Bethann73 Bethann73's Avatar 06-15-05 | 09:10 AM
  • We researched and spoke with multiple Drs. when I was pregnant with DS. We came to the conclusion that with our family history there is no concrete statistics of it's medical uses that could convince us to spend the $1000 and the $100 a month for storage.
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 06-15-05 | 10:20 AM
  • Yeah, our docters agreed. We have a strong family history of autoimmune disease and still my docs thought it wasn't for us.

My docter said that they can only promise (at this point) that the cells will be good for around 10 years and he doubts that in that time they will be able to use those cells to help any of the autoimmune diseases. He did think it was worthwhile to donate if DH and I wanted to.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work