Baby Corner

Old 11-12-04, 07:21 PM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%

I must say that I was pretty naive before the birth of my first child. I really didn't know that there was a right and wrong way to remove the placenta. I also figured, like most women, that the doctors and hospital staff were looking out for me. I have had a lot of info about the safety of homebirth emailed to me from a very woman who is looking out for other women.

About the episiotomy, I would rather have torn and been sewed back together if necessary. I don't think I would have torn. The doctor was just impatient. He didn't want to sit and wait. I also flat out refused it and he did it anyway. I felt like I was sacrificed on the altar because my husband, mother, sister and the nurse were standing around me with the doctor between my feet pushing me to get one. I really hated the doctor after that and had resentment toward my family forit too. I think that had a big part in my PPD.

So, I am doing all I can to prevent another PPD episode from occurring.

You should read this article I found about this lady who seven babies. Its pretty long, but a very powerful read:

Old 11-12-04, 11:25 PM
Charlotte's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Thanks for that article. I read many similar stories when I took my Bradley class. There's a lot of awful things that still do happen in hospitals. I think that it's terrible that the doctor disregarded your wishes and cut you anyway. I hope you have a peaceful home birth without PPD.

I'm not even pregnant, but I look forward to having the next one outside of a hospital. Though, for the most part my wishes were followed during my birth. I didn't get an IV until about five minutes before she was born. Though, I did get a lot of pressure to have a routine one. I had to sign a form saying I was refusing it against medical advice.

Last edited by belle81; 11-12-04 at 11:32 PM.

Old 11-13-04, 05:42 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Yep, pulling on the cord is a BIG no-no. Doctors almost always do it to speed the process of delivering the placenta. The placenta will let go in just a few minutes from the uterine wall and then it can be born in 1-2 easy pushes as it's soft and squishy.

Doctors generally don't want to wait for it though. My first son was born in a Navy Hospital (YIKES) and the doctor was yanking on it and it didn't release properly. They did a manual removal of the placenta with me AWAKE. I later found out this guy wasn't even an OB!!! He was a Pediatric Intern!!!!

Basically, birth isn't a sickness. It's a natural process that can happen with peace and relatively low pain if done right and in a serene setting. Lying on one's back in a tense situation, with bright lights and people constantly coming and going is NOT conducive to pain control.

If there are extenuating factors, like Herpes, high blood pressure, dystocia, etc. there are good reasons for birthing in a hospital. A good certified Midwife knows when to turn a patient over to an OB. For the majority of women, home is the best place to birth in peace and privacy!

Old 11-13-04, 05:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

I just read that message at the BirthLove site. HOW POWERFUL! I feel so much like this woman. Birth is OURS and we can do it!!! Beautiful!

Old 11-13-04, 03:44 PM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Until I read her long story I didn't know why I had felt so badly after the birth of my son. Now, I am connecting with feelings I buried a long time ago. I think its going to help me do better with this birth.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools