Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth >
Husband sprayed insecticide without telling me - will baby be OK?

Husband sprayed insecticide without telling me - will baby be OK?

Reply Post New Topic

• Lady Q 02-20-08 | 03:21 PM
  • Hope I'm worried over nothing...

Given my pregnancy (I'm a little over 15 weeks along) and doctor's advice, I have NOT had our pest control service over to treat house (they spray a few times a year typically). I also told my husband (several times) that doctor advised me not to have ANY insecticide in any form applied to or in the house by the company or by us personally.

Today, my husband sprayed ant spray in the laundry room without telling me (!!!) I only discovered this when I went to check on the clothes (older not-so-efficient dryer; clothes don't always dry completely 1st time) and the fumes were very apparent. When I went back to take clothes out of dryer after additional cycle, I tried not to breathe in but I know I did to some extent (both times I was in the room).

Husband claims it wasn't near where the machines are but it smelled VERY strong (and he's quite often lied about doing careless things before, to avoid being "wrong", I suppose) so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he sprayed right next to the machines. He also added that he sprayed yesterday too (?) I'm just glad I didn't go in the room then as well!

Further, my husband is rather unconcerned about the pregnancy in general (even given previous miscarriages & episodes with preterm labor & the fact that I'm "high risk") and seems to think that his opinion of the "baby will be fine" trumps the advice that the doctors gave me of avoid insecticide in any form whatsoever.

Is my baby safe? Would appreciate any advice on this - thanks so much! Regards, Lady Q
  • the_littleminx the_littleminx's Avatar 02-20-08 | 03:36 PM
  • I'm sure that since your contact with it was minimum that you'll be okay. If you're really concerned though it can't hurt to call your doctor, just to hear it from him/her. (hug)
  • Lady Q 03-18-08 | 11:45 PM
  • My apologies for not answering this before; am a bit forgetful these days! I appreciated your post, since my doctor's office isn't much on reassurance to say the least.

There is another issue with the baby which I will put in another post. Hopefully someone has heard about it, involving AFP3 tests.

Many thanks,

Lady Q

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work