Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth >
I've got to talk about the birth!!

I've got to talk about the birth!!

Reply Post New Topic

• AmiKW AmiKW's Avatar 01-03-07 | 09:44 AM
  • It has really been on my mind how crazy Gus's delivery was. I am really very disappointed in how it turned out. I know we have no control over these things, but it was just really traumatic to me. My husband seems proud that it ended up being a natural birth, and he really has gotten a kick out of the story. But gals, I really am still just freaking out over it all. I keep thinking all the "what if's". If I had known earlier, even 30 minutes earlier, that the contractions were the real deal I could have made it to the hospital in time for some drugs and an actual labor and delivery birth.
    It all happened so fast, we got to the hospital at 6:34 and he was born in the emergency room on a rolling gurney at 6:37! I remember them telling a woman she had to get out of the exam area they brought me to, she was a patient! Once he was born I realized there was a curtain pulled right next to me and there was a man lying on the other side! He heard the entire process! There was about 15 or so nurses and aids and whoever else standing around me the entire time, watching the entire birth! It was all so fast we have no pictures of him being born (we got Deweys entire birth on film!).
    I am amazed at my body for being able to give birth without drugs, it hurt like hell, worse pain I've ever had, but as soon as he was out the pain was gone. I can't believe I did it!!! But it's still not how I would have chose to give birth. Definitely not the ladylike labor and delivery I had envisioned for 9 months!
    I know I'm rambling, I'm just still really shocked over how it all happened, and I need to talk it out. My dh and I have talked about it but he thinks it's an awsome conversation piece, while I need to analyze it all.
    The hospital is about 45 minutes from our house, we made it in about 30! We had both kids in the back seat (my parents met us there) and I was in the front seat hating life. I begged Shawn to pull over and let me just lay flat on the ground and push the baby out while he called 911, he wouldn't do it, I'm glad now though. I had pulled my pants off cause when we were about 5 minutes from the hospital I was having to push! It was all just awful! He was born just 3 minutes after we got there! UNREAL! If we had caught a red light or anything he would have literally been on the floorboard! And my poor 8 year old will probably never want kids, I'm sure I've scarred him for life.
    And how about this for mothers intuition? At about 5 or 6 months I remember watching A Baby Story on discovery (or whatever channel it comes on) and this woman had a knot in her cord! Well I really was worried about that the whole time after seeing that. How about when Gus was born the ER Dr said he had a perfect knot in his cord! Shawn was even tripping out cause he remembered me talking about that to him! That really freaked me out!
    One thing I can say, I've always heard women who had natural births say that the recovery was better. Well that was true for me. I loved being able to walk right afterward! I didn't feel as bad. Not having an episiotomy was great! I did tear in 2 places, but they were superficial and the healing process with them seemed sooooo much better than when they cut me with Dewey.

I'm sorry this has been so long. I have just really been thinking about it the last few days, and have just needed to talk about it all. I feel stupid going on about it to my friends and family, knowing they got the initial story and don't care to listen to me rehash it, so you gals are the lucky ones that get to hear me go on and on. I'm just so shocked by how it all turned out! And how fast it came on and ended. I had a quick labor with Dewey, 5 1/2 hours, and about an hour and half to 2 hour labor with Gus, if I was to have another child I'd have to camp out at the hospital 2 weeks before hand!!!! Jeeze, it would probably be a 10 minute labor/delv! LOL!!
    If you've read this far thanks for listening! Again, sorry it's so long!
  • mom2nj 01-03-07 | 09:55 AM
  • I can only imagine how that felt for him to come out so fast. its hard when the labor doesnt act out how we thought.

• savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 01-03-07 | 09:57 AM

•  
    Ami I know it was not the birth you envisioned but honestly it's an awesome story and he's healthy and you did make it to the hospital. I can't say I would or wouldn't feel the same way cause I never experienced any labor since all my were scheduled c-sections. I'm happy that he arrived safely and you didn't have a long or hard recovery.

He's adorable too!
  • BnBMommy BnBMommy's Avatar 01-03-07 | 10:03 AM

•  
    I hope getting that out helps yah Ami.. It is scary that things don't happen as we anticipate eh. I had a 1 hr and 20 minutes of active labour with Benjamin, it scares me that they say the second time is faster!
  • rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 01-03-07 | 12:11 PM

•  
    You did a great job. You should be proud of yourself! But definitely get there two weeks before next time.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work