Baby Corner

Old 12-05-04, 10:42 AM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.54%
Default A list of stuff you could get for baby

I made this list, with help from some friends, for a (clueless) friend who had fallen pregnant when my DS was almost a year old. Hopefully it will help some other first time moms-to-be!

What I found vital was:
*about 6 vests of the type that have snaps in the crotch (babies poo a lot and you'll change the vest frequently!)
*about 6 babygros (for the same reason, the amount you get depends on how often you plan to wash)
*about 4 jerseys (or warm tops)
*6 or more towelling diapers for burping, etc.
*2 pacifiers of the same type so you can alternate if the one gets dirty
*4 receiving blankets (the poo sometimes gets on these, not to mention spit up)
*a nappy bag (with a spare set of clothes in - I learnt THAT the hard way!)
*lots of disposable diapers
*cream for baby's bottom (but use vaseline in the hospital as meconium - the first poo - is HORRIBLY sticky and having baby's bum covered in vaseline makes it easier to clean)
*cotton wool
*ear buds
*surgical spirits (for cleaning the umbilical stump)
*lots of HEAVY duty pads for yourself (get them at baby shops, the ones you can buy at the supermarket just don't cut it for the amount of flow you have after giving birth)
*Johnson's Top to Toe baby wash (this is great for the early days as you can use it to wash baby's hair and body. I also used it in the hospital as it saved me having to bring extra toiletries for myself)
*a Kango Pouch (this is the same as the Baby Bjorn carrier)! I could not have LIVED without mine!
*a Snug 'n' Safe if you have a car
*a place for baby to sleep (in bed with you, or in a crib or a camp cot - my one friend let her baby sleep in a baby bath for the first few weeks, she padded it first!)
*oh, a baby bath, you'll need one of those! The ones that fit over your bath are the best, but they're a bit pricey, so the other kind will do but once baby starts splashing they make a heckuva mess!
*A pram, but we found that we used the baby carrier so much that we only needed to buy a pram when he got a bit heavier.
*Breast pads if you are going to breastfeed. I found that the Pigeon ones work best.
*Wet wipes, we use a lot of them each month.
*Telament drops for the really bad burps... and also gripe water for light cramps.
*About 4 bath towels with the hoods as it is just helpful to keep them warm.
*Get some cabbage leaves which you can chill and put on your breasts when you milk comes in. Believe me your boobs are going to balloon out and itís painful at times. Chilled cabbage leaved does wonders.
*3 feeding bras with little clip on-off hookie things at the front on the shoulders. Make sure they are comfortable.
*At least 3 front opening nighties for breast feeding. When you buy your pyjamas... choose dark colours!!
*Coarse salt for your bath if you are having natural birth, it aids the healing of tears and cuts.
*If you are having a C-section know that it is sore. Take stuff to do in hospital.
*And no matter how unflattering they are, get lots of disposable undies. You do not want to ruin your nice stuff.
*And the best thing you can get for yourself is sleep. LOTS of it.

Something else that I think you should add to pregnancy expenses! Antenatal classes... I think it is soooo important to do this. We went to a private midwife who gave classes and it was a small class of 6 couples including us. It was so nice. Even though we knew a lot of the baby stuff that we learnt (because I read everything about pregnancy I could lay my hands on) it was good to make friends with other expecting couples. The relaxation & breathing techniques, the birthing positions and breastfeeding advice and what to expect from each type of birth (we watched videos of various births) were all things that were good to learn.
You usually only start the lessons when you're about 28-30 weeks pregnant so that everything you learnt is still fresh in your mind when you do go into labour. MAKE your partner go with you if he is reluctant! I can't emphasise how important it is! I think the antenatal classes really brought it home to my hubby that we were going to become parents. I recommend shopping around, trying to find someone near to you and try to get someone who only takes small classes (8 couples or less) 'cos it is nicer.

Another thing to remember: In the early days at home I changed Tristan's nappy and discovered rusty red stains on his nappy! I though he was bleeding or had a bladder infection. Luckily I dug into my books before rushing him to the hospital and discovered that it's normal, they're excreting urates in their urine and that leaves the red stain. So, I just wanted to warn you of that!

As for at home, you need to decide whether you are going to breastfeed or not. I highly recommend it as it is a great way to bond with your baby and it saves money BIG TIME!

The other thing I can recommend for when you come home, is get hubby to take as much leave as he can. My hubby took a month off and he was such a big help! Get your hubby involved in changing nappies, bathing baby, etc.

As for what baby needs, decide whether you want baby to sleep in bed with you or in a crib next to your bed. Some breastfeeding moms sleep with their babies because they find it easier to feed them like that.

Keep your eyes open for specials when you are pregnant, especially for diaper specials. If you decide to go the disposable route (which I chose) be aware that it is expensive, so start stocking up early on. Buy a big pack of diapers every month of your pregnancy.

Don't buy many clothes or toiletries 'cos you get a lot at your baby shower. Wait until after the shower then go and buy what you are missing. DO buy lots of vests (about 5, depending on how often you plan to wash) as I discovered that newborn babies tend to poo with every feed and the poo leaks all over the vest. Get the ones with poppers between the legs, they are fabulous!

Another thing, wash all your new baby clothes before you let baby wear them, the chemicals in the unwashed clothes may cause a skin reaction. Vinegar is a cheap, hypo-allergenic and scent-free softener that you can use on your baby's clothing.

Hmm, what else... A baby bath is a good thing to have, one of the kind that fits over your own bath is really nice. I had a normal type of baby bath and discovered the hard way that babies splash a lot - all over my carpet! At least over the big bath the water can just run down the drain, plus it saves you the trouble of lugging the thing around when it is full of water! Of course, you could bath with baby in the big bath (my friend does that) and hubby can do the drying and dressing. Or you can bath baby in the kitchen sink or the basin in the bathroom (I do this when I am in a rush!) Just put a hand towel in the sink to soften it somewhat and cover the taps with facecloths.

I recommend buying a changing mat too, but you don't have to get one. As long as you make a padded surface (i.e. with a folded blanket) and put a plastic sheet over it you should be fine. The plastic sheet is vital! Babies poop and pee almost as soon as you take their nappies off!

Hope this helps!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools