Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Looking for advice....

Reply Post New Topic

• TTUAlison TTUAlison's Avatar 05-09-05 | 01:50 PM
  • I work in an office with two other women who are both smokers. Throughout the day, the three of us will take about 3 or 4 smoke breaks (I don't smoke BTW). This has never been a problem or an issue for me, but I just found out I was pregnant, and I would like to limit my exposure to secondhand smoke. These smoke breaks are in a courtyard that is surrounded on three sides by buildings, so even though we are outside, the smoke hangs in the air.

I'm not sure how to handle this situation. I'm not ready to tell anyone that I'm pregnant. If I avoid taking breaks altogether, the women I work with are going to wonder why I'm avoiding them. I've never had a problem going on break with them before, so I can't suddenly develop a smoke allergy or anything.

Any advice on how to handle this situation without telling anyone or without hurting anyone's feelings (I think the two are mutually exclusive) would be greatly appreciated.
  • Bethann73 Bethann73's Avatar 05-09-05 | 01:56 PM
  • Tell them that your DH and daughter ave been complaingin that you stink like smoke when you come home and you'd like to avoid it for a while.

That's all I can say. I used to smoke but never at work so it wasn't an issue for me.
  • the_littleminx the_littleminx's Avatar 05-09-05 | 11:43 PM
  • I think that Bethann's excuse is a good one. Good luck.
  • TTUAlison TTUAlison's Avatar 05-10-05 | 10:11 AM
  • I think I'll try that. Or I could say that Susan is coughing a lot when she's around me after I've been to work. I did pretty well yesterday because the wind was blowing (not unusual around here), and the wind kept everything cleared out.

Thanks for the advice!
  • :domesticgoddess: :domesticgoddess:'s Avatar 05-10-05 | 12:26 PM
  • Good excuse, Bethann!

You're smart to avoid the secondhand smoke!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work