Baby Corner

Old 08-08-08, 03:16 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 2151.75%

I had a placental abruption with our second DD when I was 6cm and we both nearly died. I'm way too high risk. A midwife wouldn't touch me even if I DID want (or could) have a home birth.

I also have PIH and a placenta previa. I'm a midwife's nightmare!!

Old 08-08-08, 03:30 PM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.5%

Deanna, you already have PIH? I had that at the end with my DS. It wasn't the most fun hospital birth, but I made it through with as little intervention as possible because of a good nurse I had. She was also our Lamaze coach.

I know that there are plenty of women out there who need all of the interventions of a hospital birth, but that's not the norm. I just want to encourage any woman who thinks she might be a homebirth candidate to check it out with a homebirth midwife before letting mainstream convince them that its impossible or undesirable.

Old 09-29-08, 01:32 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.5%
Default Update!

For some reason, I forgot I posted this and didn't get email notifications...then I was on this message board again at random and searched home birth and there was my post! I'm a dork. Anyway..here is an update. I'm now 28 weeks and so looking forward to my home birth. Baby shower is set for October 25th... the nursery is froggy themed.... ultrasound says we are having a boy. We love the name Jack Stone. Our midwife is named Dusty, she is from Hummingbird Midwifery...

I will not have any more ultrasounds even though the independent ultrasound center would be glad to schedule a few more. I'm taking supplements- drinking pregnancy tea and doing pregnancy yoga on the living room floor. I meditate on having a fast and calm delivery at home. Can't hurt, might help, right?

My DH is really allowing me to take my time and do this the way I want to- thank GOD. On my plate right now is addressing the baby shower invites (which I had printed super cheap at Vista Print), then we need to paint the nursery, and decorate. I've gathered almost everything I need so I just gotta grab DH when he isn't working and throw a quick coat of white paint up.

Thanks for your comments and I am a huge home birth advocate. Although this will be my first home birth (first child was hospital birth), I feel STRONGLY that our bodies are MADE to make babies. So many complications in delivery are caused from too many interventions and not nearly enough trust in our bodies. Birth should take as long as it takes- it RARELY needs to be sped up (how many moms do you know that DIDN'T get pitocin?) although we desperately would like to go faster.. or hell... immediatly! Well.. I could really get up on my soapbox- but I wont in this update- and I know there are lots of women who don't agree...and I totally respect that but for those of you who think the status quo of hospital birthing is FUBAR then I salute you and would love to discuss...

Old 09-29-08, 01:37 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.5%

I am making the playlist of music for the delivery- I'm making it super long and making sure I threw in some loud, empowering PUSHING tunes.

I'm having my partner from the photography studio photograph the entire delivery- but I am debating on video....

My midwife is bringing a birthing pool- but it's not essential to me at all. If labor is fast- I will use my tub if that is what feels right at the time. I am not counting on anything... except doing what feels right when the time comes.

It's funny- I keep thinking about what I want to wear (no stupid hospital gown this time) and I just can't do the naked thing... I might invest in a good sportsbra.... or might do a light cotton nightgown. It's not the most important thing to think about for sure, but I keep thinking about it!!

EEEEEK!!

Last edited by pregnants; 09-29-08 at 02:07 AM.

Old 09-29-08, 01:46 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMommyof2

Hi! My husband and I are planning an a home birth with our little boy due in September. We had a beautiful and wonderful drug-free, natural and FAST labor with our little girl (thanks to walking a TON and Evening Primrose Oil!!!-ask your midwife!) We owe it mostly however to our Bradley Method training, and the fact that my husband performed SO well as a coach and we were so in tune with each other. He was my strength and my communicator when I couldnt be strong and speak for myself due to such intense labor. We are SO excited about being able to be at home in our own environment during labor without the annoying rigidity that comes with hospital births so often. I am also looking forward to the fact that I get to have my daugther with me here and I dont have to be away from her for no reason just because it's "hospital rules" to stay for 3-4 days after birth. Anyway, my advice would definitely include finding a Bradley instructor in your area. Classes are $300 but SO important and worth it! Also, ask your midwife about evening primrose oil (not just taking it orally, but inserting it vaginally after 36 weeks, or whenever you feel you're ready) Make drinking Red Raspberry Tea part of your daily routine. Make sure you use organic, though as they spray raspberry leaf a LOT! Contrary to popular belief, it does not send you into labor, but simply tones your uterus and gets you ready for labor. I hpoe this helps... If I think of anything else I will let you know. Keep us updated on the pregnancy!

Congrats! Have you had your baby yet? I would love to know how the home birth went! I am going to get some evening primrose and I'm making iced tea out of the Red Raspberry.

How exciting! Post pictures!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools