Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth Need Placenta Previa Success Stories

Need Placenta Previa Success Stories

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-28-09, 06:14 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

I had a previa with my second and third pregnancies. By about 25 weeks, both had cleared up.

With Charlotte (my second), I was passing golf ball-sized clots and it scared the you-know-what out of me every time. But it was from the previa.

It's scary but it's very common.

Old 03-28-09, 09:29 PM
Taylor's Mommy

Thanked 30 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Is it the placenta thats bleeding or the irritation of the placenta resting on the cervix?

What are the dangers of me losing this baby?

Old 03-29-09, 02:51 AM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

okay, so the cervix is the opening from the womb to the birth canal and out basiclly. Most women have a pretty closed up cervix thru most of the pregnancy, but some women's cervix's are not all the way smooshed up closed tightly.

Whe a placenta is covering the 'opening', it has the chance or ability to 'fall' thru the opening if it's not tightly closed up.
Since the placenta is basically a giant bloodsac, you would essentially be breaking open part of the placenta as the cervix fluxes and you get bleeding.

If the cervix is partially open, there is a chance of the placenta dislodging from the uterin walls further and 'flushing' itself out the cervix opening. (via gravity more than anything)

a vaginal birth is NOT an option for people with placenta previa because if the placenta comes out first, the baby essentially will sufocate inside the womb because the umbilical cord is no longer providing that for the baby.

The fact that the cervix does move and can open and close means that the placenta has a possibility of tearing with that movement. The tearing would bring about the blood loss. It usually takes far more tearing than just a small cervical movement to tear the placenta beyond function... but that placenta is essential to the health of the baby.
I think the biggest dangers are during birth, though.

Old 03-29-09, 12:27 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

As your uterus grows, it "pulls" (for lack of a better term) your placenta upward. The vast majority of placenta previas are corrected by the third trimester. When the uterus "pulls" the placenta upward, there can be a little hemotoma left where the placenta previously lay. This causes a little bleeding sometimes but it's nothing to worry about.

To help ease your mind, I had complete previas with my two (meaning that the placenta COMPLETELY covered the cervi

until about 25 weeks when I was upgraded to "partial previa" and then to "low-lying placenta", meaning that the placenta was near but not covering the cervix. That's when I was allowed off of pelvic rest (DH was thrilled!) and continued without that high risk.

So the fact that they've classified you as "low-lying" is very good news. That means that the placenta is near the cervix but not covering it. The likelihood of this causing miscarriage is so low it's probably not calculatable (is that a word

).

Old 03-29-09, 05:16 PM
Taylor's Mommy

Thanked 30 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Actually ~ I was classified as "complete placenta previa". (The u/s tech said my placenta was a little low.) It's my OB that said "complete placenta previa". The u/s showed that my cervix was completely closed, and wasn't thinning.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools