Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Pregnancy Message Boards > Pregnancy, Labor & Childbirth >
Need Placenta Previa Success Stories

Need Placenta Previa Success Stories

Reply Post New Topic

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 03-28-09 | 05:14 PM
  • I had a previa with my second and third pregnancies. By about 25 weeks, both had cleared up.

With Charlotte (my second), I was passing golf ball-sized clots and it scared the you-know-what out of me every time. But it was from the previa.

It's scary but it's very common.
  • MBMBERG MBMBERG's Avatar 03-28-09 | 08:29 PM
  • Is it the placenta thats bleeding or the irritation of the placenta resting on the cervix?

What are the dangers of me losing this baby?
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 03-29-09 | 01:51 AM
  • okay, so the cervix is the opening from the womb to the birth canal and out basiclly. Most women have a pretty closed up cervix thru most of the pregnancy, but some women's cervix's are not all the way smooshed up closed tightly.

Whe a placenta is covering the 'opening', it has the chance or ability to 'fall' thru the opening if it's not tightly closed up.
    Since the placenta is basically a giant bloodsac, you would essentially be breaking open part of the placenta as the cervix fluxes and you get bleeding.

If the cervix is partially open, there is a chance of the placenta dislodging from the uterin walls further and 'flushing' itself out the cervix opening. (via gravity more than anything)

a vaginal birth is NOT an option for people with placenta previa because if the placenta comes out first, the baby essentially will sufocate inside the womb because the umbilical cord is no longer providing that for the baby.

The fact that the cervix does move and can open and close means that the placenta has a possibility of tearing with that movement. The tearing would bring about the blood loss. It usually takes far more tearing than just a small cervical movement to tear the placenta beyond function... but that placenta is essential to the health of the baby.
    I think the biggest dangers are during birth, though.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 03-29-09 | 11:27 AM
  • As your uterus grows, it "pulls" (for lack of a better term) your placenta upward. The vast majority of placenta previas are corrected by the third trimester. When the uterus "pulls" the placenta upward, there can be a little hemotoma left where the placenta previously lay. This causes a little bleeding sometimes but it's nothing to worry about.

To help ease your mind, I had complete previas with my two (meaning that the placenta COMPLETELY covered the cervi

until about 25 weeks when I was upgraded to "partial previa" and then to "low-lying placenta", meaning that the placenta was near but not covering the cervix. That's when I was allowed off of pelvic rest (DH was thrilled!) and continued without that high risk.

So the fact that they've classified you as "low-lying" is very good news. That means that the placenta is near the cervix but not covering it. The likelihood of this causing miscarriage is so low it's probably not calculatable (is that a word

).

• MBMBERG MBMBERG's Avatar 03-29-09 | 04:16 PM
  • Actually ~ I was classified as "complete placenta previa". (The u/s tech said my placenta was a little low.) It's my OB that said "complete placenta previa". The u/s showed that my cervix was completely closed, and wasn't thinning.