Baby Corner

Old 11-18-04, 04:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Cool Pain Management

Many women fear a home birth because they don't understand the methods of managing pain during labor and delivery. I have found that my 5 home births were FAR less painful than the ones I had in the hospital!! If you've already birthed at home, can you explain how some of the techniques used or the situation itself lends itself to a more peaceful and relaxing environment, and a less painful birth?

I have found that my Midwife in her infinite wisdom has me walk thoughout labor. There are times when I stop during a big contraction and hold onto my dh or a counter, chair, etc. but most of the time I am walking and this gravity helps my dilatation tremendously! Lying on one's back to labor is totally counter-productive as it causes uneven pressure on the cervix from the baby's head. Standing or sitting upright keeps the baby's head evenly applied to the cervix, shortening labor and actually I have found that the contractions are far less painful! Research has proven that women who labor lying down are far more likely to have c-sections.

My Midwife also allows the use of warm showers or baths to ease the pain of contractions which is very helpful.

Old 11-19-04, 11:34 AM
Charlotte's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Slow, regular breathing helps get you plenty of oxygen. Altered breathing techniques are counterproductive. It also helps to let your whole body go limp. Tensing up any part of your body it can make any pain you feel worse. Such as holding anyone's hand in a death grip. If you feel the need to vocalize, use a low pitch like a moan. Sceaming in a high pitch causes tension. and my favorite is the bath with warm water. That felt so good.

Old 11-21-04, 03:33 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I LOVE warm water -- the uterus is a muscle and warm water eases the pain and brings great relief in labor!

Old 11-21-04, 03:34 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

My Midwife also uses gentle counterpressure against the perineum during birth to thwart (now there's an archaic word, huh?) tears. It's so amazing how when someone really cares they can do so many things to ease the discomfort, making it a wonderful experience!

Old 12-05-04, 10:22 AM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Water is an amazing method of pain relief, and breathing steadily during contractions helps a lot too.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools