Baby Corner

Old 02-01-06, 01:40 PM
Community Member

Thanked 64 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Question about the Triple Screen

Hey Ladies-a friend of mine and fellow IVFer, just found out today that she has an elevated Triple Screen. Normal is .5-2.5 and she is 2.6. Her donor was 24 yrs old. She is scared to death now, which I totally understand, but since I did not have the triple screen I really did not know what to tell her. I had the amnio instead. She is 15 weeks. They told her they are sending her to the ROC which is where I had my amnio done and all my u/s. Hopefully they will be able to look at the markers and determine if she would need an amnio or not. But I just did not know what those numbers meant. They told her she may have a child w/ Spina Bifida. She is just beside herself which is understandable. She talked about the Triple Screen measuring the protein in the placenta, but she has been bleeding/spotting since getting pg and was told that the elevation could be from that...also she is anemic. My questions are was it too early for the Triple Screen and I know there are alot of false positives but I thought w/ IVF those would be lessen, can anyone help shed some light? She is just why do we have to go thru all of this w/ all that we have gone thru to get pg, I said I really don't know. I wished I could help her more, but I don't know much about this, thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-06, 02:15 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

I know the triple test is usually done around 15 weeks in my clinic. I also know the numbers are not so accurate. From everything I've heard and read, the amnio is most reliable test and even that can have fasle positives. I feel for your friend...the problem is that she could be worrying for nothing.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools