Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

When to tell

Reply Post New Topic

• janeb 02-20-11 | 10:45 PM
  • When is it safe/a good idea to tell people? I am almost 6 weeks along and am bursting with the news. I've already told my mom and 2 best friends, but I'm planning to wait 3 more weeks to tell the rest of my family because I'll be seeing them in person then. (They live far away.)

But when is it smart to tell coworkers, etc? Is 8 weeks waiting long enough?
  • lauralkemp lauralkemp's Avatar 02-20-11 | 11:12 PM
  • I think telling your boss pretty soon would be a good idea so he/she can start planning for your temp while you are on maternity leave or replacement if you decide to be a stay at home mom.. Some people don't like telling until they are in their second trimester because then the threat of miscarriage is diminished and they start feeling more pregnant.

We told people as soon as we got the doctor's confirmation with our DS.
  • Mark'sbabygirl Mark'sbabygirl's Avatar 02-20-11 | 11:36 PM
  • We told people both times after the first ultrasound at around 7 and 10 weeks. After we saw the heartbeat we felt much better about the pregnancy (miscarriage risk drops dramatically once the heartbeat is seen on an u/s). But, it is a personal decision- no one would blame you for telling now! I understand how you feel- it is so exciting that you want to shout it from the rooftops! But, scary at the same time! You will figure out what is right for you!
  • countrycutieluv countrycutieluv's Avatar 02-21-11 | 01:10 AM
  • The other ladies are right on all accounts. I just wanted to chime in and say, it also depends on your type of employment. If your a receptionist opposed to doing lifting or climbing high.
    When I was pregnant with my son I was working in the automotive field and was unable to do some of my duties due to my pregnancy.
    Other then that its going to be up to you!
    Congrats!
  • rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 02-21-11 | 01:15 AM
  • I told early. I'm no good at keeping secrets! My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, so my dh suggested we wait to tell the second time, but I felt that I would need the extra support even more during those "unsafe" early months.

If you want to tell and your dh agrees, do it!