Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Need advice...

Reply Post New Topic

• Tracey and Neil Tracey and Neil's Avatar 03-23-06 | 02:44 PM
  • ... I don't know if you people know about my job, but I work with people who have disabilities and sensory loss, this includes people who have profound and multiple disabilities. I've basically been doing it since I was 16.

Lately I've had a number of days at work where people's attitudes and actions have resulted in me coming home and crying and not wanting to go back.

Now, I love my job, my work, the rewards it gives me, the way that no two days are the same, but recently I've been thinking about other ways to earn money and still do the work I do, but without the stress.

There have been a few articles on TV about long-term fostering and in particular fostering children who have disabilities. This is something that we are finding increasing more interesting to us. It will help fill the gap in our lives that has been left by being childless, but will also provide us with an income meaning that I don't have to go out to work.

Susanne and I have often talked about fostering, but I know that I couldn't foster a baby, I wouldn't want to give it back, I would bond too much with a small baby. Plus the money isn't enough for me to be able to give up work.

The agency we're looking at gives you 3 weeks paid respite per year, plus training and lots of support. I'm more than capable of doing the job both in terms of experience and skills, plus we obviously have a spare room.

Our reservations are centered around sick-pay and also about possible gaps between placements (when I wouldn't get paid) plus a whole host of other little things.

What are your thoughts on it? Any advice appreciated.
  • AmyM AmyM's Avatar 03-23-06 | 03:38 PM
  • Honestly? It is one thing to work 40 hours a week taking care of people with multiple disabilities, but it is going to be very different having them 24/7. I do think it is worth a try, but fully know what you are getting into.
  • baby hungry 03-23-06 | 06:18 PM
  • I know how much you love the people you care for Tracey. I know you you think of them, care for them, and truly love working with them.

I agree with Amy that working 40 hours a week is different than 24/7. Don't get me wrong, I think you would be great at it, but I do also think it will be a challenge, exspecially ttcing with doctor appointments etc.

I think you should for sure look into it more. Maybe find out the name of someone else who does it and see what they have to say?

I know that whomever was in your home would be so loved and cared for. They would be beyond lucky.
  • imagine imagine's Avatar 03-23-06 | 08:20 PM
  • I dont know much about fostering but I do think it's a good thing to do, and I know that many kids need someone with your experiance to help them but also make sure you do your research and talk to other people who have done this and make sure your up for the challenge.
  • 3Princes 03-23-06 | 11:25 PM
  • As a foster parent and being a teacher, I can say that we never made money on fostering. I know you get an extra stipend for special needs children, but not only will they have delays, but they will also be removed from their families and not necessarily want to be in your home. Taking that kind of treatment is very tiring, but when it's from your own foster child it can feel personal. I think fostering would be a good option, but I don't know how people end up with a profit from it.
    Good luck, either way.

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work