Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

what's the plan for today?

Reply Post New Topic

• mac71 mac71's Avatar 01-25-07 | 05:45 AM
  • Dawn, I hope they get to the bottom of your problem

I've suffered intestinal problems for nearly 20yrs and have had colonoscopies which I despise. I'd rather have back surgery again that have one of those so I sympathise. Good luck with the de-cluttering...all estate agents are the same in my view but it will be worth it when the house is sold.
  • dawnmarie dawnmarie's Avatar 01-25-07 | 03:43 PM
  • Therese what kind of intestinal issues have you had if you don't mind me asking> ?
  • mac71 mac71's Avatar 01-26-07 | 05:52 AM
  • I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) when I was about 19 after suffering with severe constipation and cramps for 3yrs or more. They did the colonoscopy (no anaethesia mind you!!) and I remember screaming so loudly. My mum was outside the door and it was locked and she was trying to kick it in to get near me. I was so traumtised by that incident that when I was told I needed another one done many years later I burst out crying and was hysterical.
    Anywho, they didn't really do anything other than diagnose so it was left up to me to treat myself which I did by taking laxatives ona regular basis (because my bowels would not open) and in emergencies my mum would bring me to the ER and they would give me enemas (glad you asked now?) I suffered for about another 6 years until one evening I got a pain that nearly killed me. It would'nt ease at all and I went to a different GP who was close to me and he examined me and took my history. He noticed I had had my appendix removed and asked me if my symptoms started after the appendectomy and I said yes. He said that he felt that I didn't have IBS but adhesions that had grown in my abdominal area which happens when people have any kind of abdominal surgery and referred me to a surgeon for a second opinion. Did that and the surgeon agreed and did a Lap and found I was riddled with scar tissues that had strangled my bowel and that's what caused my problem. After the Lap the pain went but my bowels still weren't regular but basically there was very little they could do. Its very hard to re-train your bowel when you're in your late 20's but I tried .. I'd sit on the loo whether or not I wanted to go for half an hour a few times a day but It really didn't work. So I still take mild laxatives to make me regular and it has gotten better over the years but now and again (like this week for example) I realise I haven't gone in a week or so and have to take something to move things along... sorry if this is TMI for anyone.

There are so may different intestinal issues out there, that was just mine but be proactive don't take any crap from the doctors. you know your body and if its not working to its full capacity you feel it. I get severe headaches, nausea and tiredness when I'm not regular (and regular to me is twice a week).
  • baby hungry 01-26-07 | 10:56 AM
  • Ah Dawn I'm sorry. That stinks! How did your appointment go?

Therese.. ouch!!! That does sound terrible. I don't blame you for not wanting another one!!!

I also have some major issues. I actually have a doctors appointment for it. For me I'm thinking it might be gal bladder, or endo problems because I've noticed it only tends to go crazy in the lp of my cycle. Basically I'll eat something (it's random on what I eat but there are a few things that will set me off every time) and within minutes be so sick I think my insides are going to rupture. The last time it happend Bryan was going to take me to the ER because I was white as a ghost and swet beads were pouring off my head. This is really nasty, but basically I get intense type cramps that last for about a minutes. Then I have ususally a few minutes of peace and bam again. It will not go away until it works it's way out.

Anyways, I can't help but wonder if our infertility is really messing with our bodies.
  • mac71 mac71's Avatar 01-26-07 | 11:19 AM
  • Susanne I have similar episodes like that. Back in dec. Karl decided to bring me out to dinner to celebrate my op. I had lamb (which is not something I normally eat) and within 15 mins of leaving the restaurant I had horrible cramps and sweating and I could feel my stomach getting bigger by the minute. When I got home I was so sick and had diahorea (sp? - at the same time!) and it was hours before I felt better.

Like you I'm convinced it could be connected to IF. Strangely enough when I got my lap to remove the adhesions the surgeon told me to see a gynae (he had said he would have a look "below" while doing the surgery). This was of course before I thought of ever getting pg. Interesting eh?

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work