True Vs. False LaborElizabeth Keefe
You may experience certain changes that indicate the onset of labor is near. These may be:
- Increased frequency of Braxton-Hicks Contractions.
- Lightening - Relaxation of uterine ligaments allowing baby to settle deeper into pelvis.
- Occurs two weeks prior to labor with first pregnancy.
- Occurs just prior to or during labor in subsequent birth.
- Increased vaginal secretions.
- Discharge of mucous plug.
- 1-2 pound weight loss.
- "Nesting" syndrome - You begin preparing for the arrival of your new baby. i.e.. Sudden urge to hurry up and clean the house.
Signs of Labor:
Bloody show may be seen at beginning of labor ( a pinkish vaginal secretion of blood and mucus)Ruptured membranes - a sudden gush or slow leaking of fluid from vagina -Contractions (described below)
*Do not use tampons or take tub baths with ruptured membranes. Use sanitary napkins if needed.
True Labor Contractions:
- Become regular as labor progresses
- Get stronger over time
- Walking makes them stronger
- Resting does not make them go away
- Felt in back and radiate to the front
- Cervix effaces and dilates
- Last longer as labor progresses (duration)
- Shorter rest periods between (frequency)come every 20-30 minutes or start closer together.
False Labor Contractions:
- Are usually irregular and short
- Do not get close together
- Walking does not affect the contraction
- Resting may help stop them
- Usually felt in the front and groin area
- Cervix does not change significantly
Note: It is always a good idea to call your health care provider when in doubt!
Be the first to add your comment, or ask a question.
You are commenting as .